Any sanitary welders North of Boston?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
I am a total newbie to AG brewing and I'm starting to collect the parts to assemble my AG brew rig. I have a few kegs and was wondering if anyone knows of a sanitary tig welder North of Boston.

Also, what connections will I need welded on my HLT, MLT, and brew kettle? I would like to get everything welded at one time, so even if some connections are optional, I would like to get them all welded at once and if need be, I can plug them for now.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Cheers.
Keith

Keith,

Let me know what you hear rgd the sanitary welds.

I am in the midst of building my AG system, and will attempt the sanitary welds from my garage. I'm relatively new to welding and this will be my first attempt at anything sanitary with stainless. If need be, I may want to call on someone with a bit more skill should I get in a bind. If all goes well, I'd be happy to help you out once I've played around with my pots....

I'm in Reading, MA...

Thanks,

Bryan

Keith,

Let me know what you hear rgd the sanitary welds.

I am in the midst of building my AG system, and will attempt the sanitary welds from my garage. I'm relatively new to welding and this will be my first attempt at anything sanitary with stainless. If need be, I may want to call on someone with a bit more skill should I get in a bind. If all goes well, I'd be happy to help you out once I've played around with my pots....

I'm in Reading, MA...

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,

I will definitely let you in on any info I may get on sanitary welding. I do know that you need a tig (not a mig) welder. My brother-in-law is a welder by trade. I talked with him a while ago and he said he would be willing to help me out if I had access to the equipment. He just can't go strolling into work with 3 kegs. LOL.

If you do give it a try, definitely let me know. I would be interested in getting these kegs converted.

Thanks.
Keith

Keith,

I have a tig and plan give it a go this week. Just trying to fugure out a way to split my argon lines so I can back-gas... Once I have this up, I'll practice on some scrap before I go at me new 20 gallon kettles.

I welded up my stand which came out great with no previous experience welding. I'm pretty good at teaching myself new things. That said, if the kettles turn out well, I'd be happy to help you out!

I'll spot some pics later this week once I get them going...

Thanks,

Bryan

Keith,

I have a tig and plan give it a go this week. Just trying to fugure out a way to split my argon lines so I can back-gas...

Reading this, it sounds like you have mutiple. Do you just have one regulator?

Unfortunately not...

I have a single tank with a single output regulator that then feeds into the back of my Miller Maxstar 150.

I have a dual output regulator for my CO2, but I didn't think they were compatible...

I was thinking about rigging up a T, one side feeding the Tig and the other for the back-gas. This would require another valve to control the back-gas as the TIG controls the flow via the finger switch.... It's a small tank of argon (20 lb) and constant flow would run me empty fast...

What would you suggest?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Bryan

There are a couple of members on here that will setup the back of the weld with a "tent". They then use the torch to flow gas in there. They will stop a couple of times and re-purge the tent. IIRC Swagman does it this way. Another member OhioEd had some welding done and the shop did it this way.

I myself don't like the idea of tapping off the line feeding the machine. I have never done it and I don't know of anyone who has. JMO.

I would buy a dual output reg if I were in your shoes. Reason is, you own a TIG welder. You WILL be doing more stainless work. Your a brewer, c-mon. The other option would be another tank and reg. That is how I do it, a dedicated tank and reg for purge work.

Not sure your Co2 regulator can be used due to the lack of a output flow orifice. That and the ability to handle the tank pressure. Depends on your regulator. Where you got it. My current Co2 reg is just a spare welding reg. So I could take it out to the shop in a pinch.

This is for OhioEd. It will take you to page 16 (I hope) which is where he shows the purge he made for the shop to use and the end result of the flowing of gas through the troch into the purge "tent".
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/welding-questions-148798/index16.html

There are a couple of members on here that will setup the back of the weld with a "tent". They then use the torch to flow gas in there. They will stop a couple of times and re-purge the tent. IIRC Swagman does it this way. Another member OhioEd had some welding done and the shop did it this way.

I myself don't like the idea of tapping off the line feeding the machine. I have never done it and I don't know of anyone who has. JMO.

I would buy a dual output reg if I were in your shoes. Reason is, you own a TIG welder. You WILL be doing more stainless work. Your a brewer, c-mon. The other option would be another tank and reg. That is how I do it, a dedicated tank and reg for purge work.

Not sure your Co2 regulator can be used due to the lack of a output flow orifice. That and the ability to handle the tank pressure. Depends on your regulator. Where you got it. My current Co2 reg is just a spare welding reg. So I could take it out to the shop in a pinch.

This is for OhioEd. It will take you to page 16 (I hope) which is where he shows the purge he made for the shop to use and the end result of the flowing of gas through the troch into the purge "tent".
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/welding-questions-148798/index16.html

First off I flow back gas continuous with a separate tank and flow meter.

I tape a piece of aluminum foil with foil tape over the item to be welded. I use a short piece's of copper tubing to flow the gas and tape this to inside of he item being welded and seal with foil tape. If its a coupler I install a plug in the coupler about one thread so its loose and the gas can escape. Flow the gas and get to welding.

Now before I had the extra tank set up I split the line at the flow meter to a needle valve to hose and the copper tubing for back flow. Just open the needle valve a turn or so, when ready to weld.

Hope this helps

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman

Back