Why does so much cole slaw suck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I just left a restaurant that generally has decent food, but my lunch came with a little cup of slaw. I knew just by looking at it that it would be pretty much inedible. I mentioned this to SWMBO and she insisted that I taste it before passing judgment. As I expected, it was total crap.

That got me to wondering, why is it that so many places serve cole slaw that is so terrible? Especially when making a decent batch of it is so simple. Heck, even KFC can make good slaw. Why can't more places just copy KFC?

Most supermarket deli counters are among the worst offenders.

I just don't know why this is. I'm not even talking about trying to make some sort of award winning gourmet slaw. Just make it decent. Buy a bottle of slaw dressing at the store. Slice up some cabbage real fine and mix it up. Or, take some mayo, a splash of milk, some salt, pepper and a little sugar, put in the cabbage and, voila, instant decent slaw.

I know that many of you have way better recipes than that. But why can't/won't most restaurants make it so it's even edible?

Wow, really couldn't agree more. I love it when a coleslaw has that perfect bit of sweetness/wetness to it. Most places totally miss the mark.

Bah. My wife makes the best slaw around. REAL slaw, none of that mayonnaise-infested slop. Shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, sliced red onions, white wine or cider vinegar, celery seed, salt, pepper.

Simple is best. Put that stuff on some of my homemade barbecue and it's a match made in heaven.

I've found very, very few slaws with mayonnaise that were any good. Most of them are trash. I prefer no mayo.

Yeah, most suck and suck bad. The best in Texas is from Rudy's BBQ. Hands down, the best in Texas.

You gotta make your own Mayo, if you want the creamy version. The big problem with most commercial slaws, is that they buy them in big tubs. Those have sweeteners and preservatives that really make it taste nasty. There was a grocer that had the stuff in the deli counter, I tried it once and it made my mouth tingle from the preservatives I am guessing. I took that as the signal that it wasn't doing me any good :D.

I am with Evan! on this one. That is how I prefer my Coleslaw as well. And I love it on Pulled Pork sammys.

Yeah, most suck and suck bad. The best in Texas is from Rudy's BBQ. Hands down, the best in Texas.

Don't you mean the Worst? ;)

rudysbbq.jpg

Now that I'm on a roll with my rant about this, it's the same way with potato salad. Most restaurants that serve it? It's almost not even food. The same with supermarket deli potato salad.

I think maybe zoebish01 has the answer, though. They get it already made in big plastic tubs. It's got so many chemicals and preservatives in it that it could knock down a horse.

We all have our own preferences about potato salad, just as we do with slaw, but the bottom line is that it's so simple to make it good. Why is so much of it awful?

Bah. My wife makes the best slaw around. REAL slaw, none of that mayonnaise-infested slop. Shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, sliced red onions, white wine or cider vinegar, celery seed, salt, pepper.

Simple is best. Put that stuff on some of my homemade barbecue and it's a match made in heaven.

I've found very, very few slaws with mayonnaise that were any good. Most of them are trash. I prefer no mayo.

Right the F*** on Evan. I only like vinegar based slaw and it's awesome on BBQ. It's also great on burgers, back when I was a kid and we visited my grandparents farm, we used to eat at this place called Rosie's Diner and I where they put slaw on the burgers. First time I took my wife there back when we were dating she saw the slaw on her burger and freaked. I had no idea it wasn't normal but since then I have learned that she doesn't like mustard, violent movies or beer, I have come to realize it is her who is not normal. :)

I guess now I will have to make up some slaw for this weekends BBQ festivities.

Man you're right...most cole slaw and 'tater salad SUCKS!

SWMBO makes a mean warm German 'tater salad...mmmmm man that stuffs good :D gotta love red potatoes and green onions

I feel your pain McCall. The worst part is that they are doing it to us in Milwaukee! Who do these places think they are kidding. The percentage of people around here who enjoy a good slaw and potato salad is through the roof and everyone knows when a places slaw and salad blow. That chaps my ass. The absolute worst is when you go to a fish fry place, and there slaw and salad is bogus. I mean, those are two of the main features of the meal! Get it done or offer something else.

Vote: I like both creamy and traditional style slaws (so long as they are well done)

Now, there you go! That's some slaw! Throw a little garlic in there, and I'm smiling wide.

I don't mind if there is just a little bit (read little bit) of mayo in there, but not enough to make it goopy. I can't stand it when I get slaw that is like dip.

TL

Golden Valley Brewery makes good slaw and German potato salad, but my favorite coleslaw was H. Salt's. I'd buy an extra pint with a meal, but the chain seems to be gone. Haven't seen one in a decade or more.

-1 on mayo in slaw

I like both kinds, but mayo-based slaw wins. Simply because mayo kicks so much a*s.

The reason cole slaw and potato salad from restaurants and delis suck is because they buy the cheap cartons that are made with a shelf life of several weeks. I don't know what they put in there as a preservative but it doesn't make for good eating.

SWMBO makes a mean warm German 'tater salad...mmmmm man that stuffs good :D gotta love red potatoes and green onions

German potato salad is vinegar based...no mayo...I am detecting an anti mayo bias to this thread. I agree with TexLaw a bit of mayo makes both better, but not even enough to tell that there is mayo in it.

I hate the crap that's all chopped up real fine like it was run through a friggen blender or something.

German potato salad is vinegar based...no mayo...I am detecting an anti mayo bias to this thread. I agree with TexLaw a bit of mayo makes both better, but not even enough to tell that there is mayo in it.

Correct, her's is made with apple cider vinegar

Wow, a coleslaw thread. I agree about crappy slaw. I have it so rarely that I want it to be good. As far as potato salad goes, I think my SWMBO makes the best there is. I never liked it until I had hers.

Mayo good. Miracle Whip, on the other hand = devil spawn.

+1 on the recipes - I've got a hankering for some slaw.

anyone ever had an "Overstuffed" sandwich from a bar called Paninnis? It is awesome it has fries and vinegar based slaw piled on top of deli meat and fresh made bread! Furkin great!!!!!

Mayo good. Miracle Whip, on the other hand = devil spawn.

+1 on the recipes - I've got a hankering for some slaw.

Thank you, you saved me from typing that myself. The wife loves MW, but I'm a real mayo guy.

As for the slaw, I can't say I've had anything other than mayo based. My mom makes a decent slaw because she doesn't slather it in the mayo, just enough to "lube" it ;) . What's everyone's take on raisins in cole slaw?

I think the key to a good cole slaw is generously salting the cabbage and letting it sit overnight. This softens it up a bit and pulls out the water that makes most cole slaws soggy, especially with mayo.

+1 on the vinegar recipes.

Real slaw....red cabbage, onion, garlic....it's the bomb. I've even had it with apples and/or mint leaves.....it's really healthy and really good!

:off:
mm that looks good Ed, reminds me of this wonderful creation..

yes folks...
1327329422_e875773245_o.jpg

It's a french fry coated hot dog!
1327327878_3494cb4827_o.jpg

This one here from the Wisconsin Brat Pages (http://www.bratwurstpages.com/bratsides.html) is excellent:

German Potato Salad

5 pounds red potatoes, boiled until just tender with skins on
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3/4 pound. bacon, cut in pieces about 1/2 inch
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup reserved fat from cooked bacon
2 Tablespoons. flour
1/2 teaspoon. salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
While the potatoes are boiling, chop the celery and onions. Over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, add onions to fat and sauté until translucent. To 1/3 cup fat in pan, add flour; cook and stir until just slightly browned. Add vinegar, water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until clear and thickened.
Peel and slice potatoes while still hot. Add the 2 tsp. salt to the hot peeled potatoes. Add onion, celery and sauce to the potatoes and toss gently.

This one here from the Wisconsin Brat Pages (http://www.bratwurstpages.com/bratsides.html) is excellent:

German Potato Salad

5 pounds red potatoes, boiled until just tender with skins on
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3/4 pound. bacon, cut in pieces about 1/2 inch
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup reserved fat from cooked bacon
2 Tablespoons. flour
1/2 teaspoon. salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
While the potatoes are boiling, chop the celery and onions. Over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, add onions to fat and sauté until translucent. To 1/3 cup fat in pan, add flour; cook and stir until just slightly browned. Add vinegar, water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until clear and thickened.
Peel and slice potatoes while still hot. Add the 2 tsp. salt to the hot peeled potatoes. Add onion, celery and sauce to the potatoes and toss gently.

I think SWMBO's is pretty close except she does not use flour or celery. More Onion and she uses a concentrated German vinegar which is about 5 times more powerful than the stuff over here. Here's what she uses.

SRG001.jpg

You mean this place?

header.jpg

It has been brought. Primanti brother sandwiches are awesome.

It's just something I have to do when I visit pittsburgh.

It's really a pittsburgh style sandwich but the primanti's do it so well that once you've lived in the 'burgh' that's what you call it.

Back