Is my yeast stuck??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalbrewer

Reaction score
I'm still new to this so sorry if this is a stupid question. My hydrometer reading hasn't changed in a week. My OG 1.056 and in five days I checked it and It was at 1.008 and it's stayed the same now at week 2 . Is this good or bad? Am I fine because it did pretty much reach it's potential %

1.008 is completely done. that's good; it's a dry beer, but i'd still leave it in there for a week or 2 to age, then bottle

lumpher said:
1.008 is completely done. that's good; it's a dry beer, but i'd still leave it in there for a week or 2 to age, then bottle

I plan to dry Hop so should I transfer now to the secondary for a week or two it's been in the primary for two weeks now? And also just so I'm a clear a "stuck fermentation" is when it hasn't reached it potential right?

"Stuck" ferments are pretty rare, although they can occur in big beers (like those over 1.060) occasionally when you don't take care of the yeast. Some yeast strains (like the Wyeast #3724 Belgian Saison) are also well-known for sticking.

It sounds like your beer is done, though. 1.008 is a perfectly fine finishing gravity. Since it's been on the yeast for 2 weeks, you should be fine to go ahead and transfer to secondary and dry-hop.

+1 to dwarven. go ahead and secondary/dry hop any time. i have an apa i let sit in the primary for 4 weeks, and now i'm dry-hopping for a week. i'll be kegging saturday, but that's just preference

I was told to ferment for two weeks but it seems a lot of u guys go for four weeks is that better? And if u plan to do a secondary do u do two and two to split it up ?

Back