Stalled fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
Hey guys need a little advice over here. I have a coffee stout in the primary and I have stalled out at about 1.022. Took the hydro over 3 days.

My question is do I need to get the same yeast (WLP 013 London Ale) to dump back in or can I use a packet of Nottingham that I have sitting in the fridge. Not sure if the local HBS has the WLP so I might be able to get close but if I can use the nottingham that would probably be best for me.

Thanks for the help.

Stouts tend to have higher FG because of the large amounts of specialty grains and unfermentables.

That said, I'd use the Nottingham.

I know I've never had any luck in the area of re-pitching and the majority of others I've read on this site haven't either..... seems the best luck for unsticking a stuck fermentation is racking onto a fresh viable yeast cake.. so my advice....hurry up and brew another batch! ;)

Is it a temperature stall? I have a dunkelweizen that started fermenting for a few days and then stopped. I thought it was done, but about a week later it started forming another krausen and fermenting again. I think it was because the temperature dropped and rose back up but I really don't know what caused it. Maybe the same thing is happening to yours?

Has this happened to anyone else with two krausens forming?

I would definently blame it on temperature. We hit a cold front last week and it caused my temp to go down to 64 F a couple of times. I think in my effort to warm it back up and it falling again I stressed out the yeast and they gave up on me.

I lost the recipe for this but the OG was 1.052 and I believe the FG was 1.014 or 1.016.

Could be the temp!

Has anyone had a revival of the yeast by just "gently" rousing the yeast by moving their fermentor/carboy?

Once, I had to move one of my fermentors late in the ferment, their was no visible activity for 2 days but after moving the carboy I started getting CO2 for about a day. I know I was close to FG but I still got some CO2. Temperature stayed the same!

I have no knowledge here, just what I observed.

Back