pilsen ready but not ready for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
recipe-
9lb 3 oz german pilzen (best mals pilzen)
2 oz hersbrucker at 60 min
1 0z saaz at 30 min
s-23 dry lager yeast

16 days into primary (@ 54-56 deg f), gravity from 1.055 og to 1.010 today.
a little taste and it tastes great. a nice treat was the little bubbles in the hydrometer tube. very light in colour and is already clearing nice.

Dilemma-
i would rack over and start lagering but the damn airlock is still hitting every 30-40 seconds. im thinking on passing on any kind of "rest" and just let the activity go on and test again on friday.

what say you?

im not stressing but this is my first lager...

i'd leave it another couple days then check the grav again. if its the same, rack to secondary and start lagering.

should have added. expected fg was 1.013 and im already at 1.010.

That doesn't matter. You're probably done, but wait two days to make sure. If you're still at 1.010, then you can rack and begin lagering. I'd probably just go ahead and do a diacetyl rest now, even if you're not tasting diacetyl, at 60-65 degrees for 48 hours. If it's still got an unchanging SG after that, then I'd rack and start lagering.

That doesn't matter. You're probably done, but wait two days to make sure. If you're still at 1.010, then you can rack and begin lagering. I'd probably just go ahead and do a diacetyl rest now, even if you're not tasting diacetyl, at 60-65 degrees for 48 hours. If it's still got an unchanging SG after that, then I'd rack and start lagering.

I agree with Yooper although the Packer pic is throwing me off.:confused:

thought id post an update-
although its LONG gone. "Dont Spilzen the Pilzen" was an absolute success! was enjoyed by many. and as soon as i get a lagering cab built or this hellacious summer goes away ill be turning and burning on this one.

thinking about how to store multiple cornies of this, have really gotten board with bottling and it would be so nice to throw another cold cornie on as on runs dry....

thanks for the advice Yoop, i didnt notice ani Diacetyl with the first tastes but went on with the rest you suggested. as i was "premiering" this i had a few "perfectionists" that were predicting diacetyl tastes as this was my first lager. (not to my face of course, but amongst themselves).

and as Karma will, one of them truly got it that evening. he was delivering an IPA that was supposed to be all that plus. ended up having the distinct taste of Corn sugar and a bit of methyl alcohol. Quite horrid! i dont like to see any beer fail, but after his "know it all" comments, it was ...........amusing.

Slainte'

thought id post an update-
although its LONG gone. "Dont Spilzen the Pilzen" was an absolute success! was enjoyed by many. and as soon as i get a lagering cab built or this hellacious summer goes away ill be turning and burning on this one.

thinking about how to store multiple cornies of this, have really gotten board with bottling and it would be so nice to throw another cold cornie on as on runs dry....

thanks for the advice Yoop, i didnt notice ani Diacetyl with the first tastes but went on with the rest you suggested. as i was "premiering" this i had a few "perfectionists" that were predicting diacetyl tastes as this was my first lager. (not to my face of course, but amongst themselves).

and as Karma will, one of them truly got it that evening. he was delivering an IPA that was supposed to be all that plus. ended up having the distinct taste of Corn sugar and a bit of methyl alcohol. Quite horrid! i dont like to see any beer fail, but after his "know it all" comments, it was ...........amusing.

Slainte'

Glad the beer turned out great! And always a great pleasure when a know-it-all gets the short end of the stick.

Back