American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always find him slightly conservative about stuff, but I don't think that's really surprising. Lots of brewers start out doing "hazelnut chocolate banana razz berry stout" and then later on simplify.

What drives me insane about Jamil is that he sounds EXACTLY like Phil Helmuth. Anyone play poker?

I HATE Phil Hellmuth... D-Bag central right there...

On a different note, brewing this up tomorrow night...

Upped it to a 15 gallon batch...

What fermentation schedule is everyone using? 10 days in primary than dry hopped 7 days in secondary and than keg/bottle

What fermentation schedule is everyone using? 10 days in primary than dry hopped 7 days in secondary and than keg/bottle

I went with:
7-Primary
7-DH
Bottled - tested after 2 weeks, tasted pretty good. Got much better as it got older. Will be brewing again soon!

I have brewed this three times. Its my favorite brew by far! I go for 10-14 in the primary and 5 in the secondary for DH. Then to the Keg!

Garrett

I missed getting some of the real stuff by 2 hours. Well my friend did. It was on their to go list and he was heading up to Chicago, so he was going to get me some so I could compare, but they had sold out 2 hours before he got there. Oh well. I've had the real stuff a few times as it shows up in Cincy sometimes.

I missed getting some of the real stuff by 2 hours. Well my friend did. It was on their to go list and he was heading up to Chicago, so he was going to get me some so I could compare, but they had sold out 2 hours before he got there. Oh well. I've had the real stuff a few times as it shows up in Cincy sometimes.

i have a couple bottles in the fridge if you wanna do a small trade?

Brewed this for a wedding my son is attending tomorrow as we're providing 4 kegs and rolling kegerator to help them save some cash as groom lost his job a short while ago. We've had it on gas for a little over a week and when brewing on Tuesday my son for some reason decided to hook up a beer line to it and connect to our home keezer. Unfortunately he didn't have all the way seated so when I went to put gelatin in yesterday I popped open the lid (keezer wasn't on at that moment and it was dark inside) and pour the gelatin inside only to hear that the keg is now only 1/2 filled. :( I turn all the brewery lights on and yep a couple gallons of beer in bottom of keezer. Sucks a$$.

this is a perfect zombie dust recipe. I did the extract version o
about a month ago it was awesome.

Check out my side by side taste test:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpEatIyjoKA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 152 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days) Hops - (used to say 10, i use 5-7 now)
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
0r
Wyeast 1968

Here is the extract/PM conversion:

Batch Size: 5g
Boil Volume: 3g

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
or
Wyeast 1968

This is assuming a 3g boil, so if you can do a full boil remove the extra oz of hops at 60minutes.

Ferment at 65F for 7-10 days

The FWH addition's IBUs are calculated as a 20 minute addition to better calculate the perceived IBUs. They are boiled the whole 60 minutes.

This recipe has had favorable results with both S-04 and WY1968. For more information here is the original thread from the Recipes/Ingredients section: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

All I have to say is WOW!!

Brewed this up a few weeks back. OG was 1.063 FG is 1.014 used US 04 and dry hopped for 3 days at 68 and 4 days cold crash at 36, then bottled. I have never had the real thing but this is a damn tasty IPA. Thank you for the recipe!!

I have a question about hops. I had to use about .50 oz of whole leaf citra due to availability of pellets. Any who I'm 8 days into this brew fermenting and noticed I have a two whole leaf pellets that made it into the fermenter. I know I have read that hops being left in for 10-15 days could create grassy off flavors is this true even though it went through the boiling process or is this just something to consider when dry hopping? Just curious because if it could create off flavors is like to transfer sooner than later.
Thanks jake

Me and a buddy brewed up 15 gallons of this on Friday. Spit the batch between Wyeast 1968 and S-04.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399925398.295747.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399925410.760774.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just wanted to chime in about the FWH vs. 60 min thing. My opinion is that when we moved to brewing beers like this ZD clone, with obscene hopping rates, the exact times and exact quantities begin to matter even less. These aren't English Milds where 1/3 oz of hops movie from a 60 minute addition to a 45 minute addition is going to be quite noticeable. When you get to the point where you have to consider BK size to hold hop matter and consider using hop extract to limit vegetal taste, the minutiae of hop scheduling is diminished, imho. yes, a discerning palate can tell the difference, but does it matter much when you compare what we're doing here vs. the other 99% of the beer styles? Or maybe we all can taste the difference between a FWH vs. 60 min hop in this beer.... but does it matter? is one a bad beer? I'd have to say no.

Brewed this last night, OG was a little higher than anticipated, at 1.071. My first 6 gallon batch and I'm in love. Make brewing so much less stressful when you have a little extra beer to not worry about draining the trub

I have brewed this recipe yesterday. The wort tasted amazing, very very pleasant malt base. I have not used FWH technic and used cascade+galaxy on the last 20 minutes of boil (Citra is quite expensive here in Brazil).

At flameout I chilled wort down to 175F and added 5oz of Citra. I will add another 5oz for dry hopping.

Just bottles this after 10 days of dry hop. Looks and smells great. I'll be back in a few weeks with a taste review. Thanks for the recipe.

The original 6 gallon recipe calls for 2 row and the 5 gallon calls for pale malt (2 row). Sorry for being a noob, but isn't there a difference? I want to buy and sack of grain today and repeat this recipe over and over. Would Cargill pale 2 row be the correct/best choice?

I am getting after this again this weekend. I am going to use Conan, and I think I will bump it up a notch to around 8.5%, 80-90 ibus.

Let us know how the conan works out. I need to brew another APA or IPA with conan here soon, and I still need to try this recipe. Maybe a win win to knock both out at once.

In the US most people shorten pale 2-row to just 2-row. If we're using other 2-row, we usually specify Maris Otter, Pils, Munich, Vienna, etc. So yes, the Cargill pale is what you want.

Bottled today. So darn good I actually drank 1/2 a glass when measuring with the hydrometer. I did get a little higher abv being right around 7%.

Soooo good. This will be brewed often.

I officially think I have enough homebrew to hold me for a little while(even though I am brewing the Centennial Blond real soon).

Still have to label the Pirate Ale...but the Zombie is looking good on the top row. Now we wait a couple weeks.

IMG_20140521_193107.jpg

I'm cold crashing right now. tasted good when I took a sip. But gravity was a little off. Og 1.071 fg was about 1.014. Oh well 7.5% Zombie!

I'm cold crashing right now. tasted good when I took a sip. But gravity was a little off. Og 1.071 fg was about 1.014. Oh well 7.5% Zombie!

Be careful, it's so good that you'll want another pint, and you'll end up paying for it the next day by feeling like a zombie. My ZD came bout at 7.5% and this has happened. Don't say I didn't warn ya :-D

I used 1056. Og 1.071 fg was 1.014.

What did everyone keg this at? I've had it at 28psi around 37 degrees for about 36 hours now. Plan to drop it down to serving tonight

What did everyone keg this at? I've had it at 28psi around 37 degrees for about 36 hours now. Plan to drop it down to serving tonight

I Stick it at 12 psi. That's enough carb for me. It gives me good head (cough cough) on the beer and doesn't make it too Carbonated. Good luck!

Despite all my attempts to royally f*** up this beer, this came out great!

Here's a few of the more ridiculous things that happened.
- Forgot to add a gallon of water (Lesson learned, less beer and distractions on brew day)
-Leaky clamps on chiller slowly leaking horrible chlorinated hard water into my wort.
- While making an ice bath around kettle, I was moving a large clump of ice behind it. Guess where it went. Yep.. brew kettle -FML! More hard chlorinated water into wort. I guess it made up for my being a gal short.
- Went to remove blow off after fermentation settled down). Broke my last airlock. Remainder of fermentation occurred with a sanitized piece of plastic wrap over lid hole

All things mentioned.. the beer is delicious, perfectly carbed, and great head retention

Be careful, it's so good that you'll want another pint, and you'll end up paying for it the next day by feeling like a zombie. My ZD came bout at 7.5% and this has happened. Don't say I didn't warn ya :-D

I used 1056. Og 1.071 fg was 1.014.

How do you guys manage to get such high numbers? I always manage to be one point low when brewing. Like if the recipe says abv 7.5 I come out at 6.5 Just got my own mill, hoping this is going to help.

How do you guys manage to get such high numbers? I always manage to be one point low when brewing. Like if the recipe says abv 7.5 I come out at 6.5 Just got my own mill, hoping this is going to help.

I use sheer overkill. I BIAB with a fine double crush, 90 minute mash, and batch sparge to rinse grains, then squeeze the bag like a fat guy on a twinkie wrapper. I then do a 90 minute boil to bring me down to my 5.5 gallons. My efficiency was way high this time. I would have almost preferred something with less abv to make it more of lawnmower beer. Oh well I have 7 oz left out of the full pound, so I'll make a zombie dust lite. :-D

I use sheer overkill. I BIAB with a fine double crush, 90 minute mash, and batch sparge to rinse grains, then squeeze the bag like a fat guy on a twinkie wrapper. I then do a 90 minute boil to bring me down to my 5.5 gallons. My efficiency was way high this time. I would have almost preferred something with less abv to make it more of lawnmower beer. Oh well I have 7 oz left out of the full pound, so I'll make a zombie dust lite. :-D
Im sure the double crush helps. I usually get grain from More Beer milled. I always thought it needed more. This next batch is going to be home crushed with my new mill pretty excited about how its going to turn out.

Just made this extract recipe again...

We used Warrior instead of Citra, and added another ounce of Warrior @ 30 min

This beer is too good.

Im sure the double crush helps. I usually get grain from More Beer milled. I always thought it needed more. This next batch is going to be home crushed with my new mill pretty excited about how its going to turn out.

I love my ghetto corona mill. Its cheap and clunky, but it gets the job done. I have mine hooked up to a cheap drill, and it chews through 10 pounds in just a few moments. Hand cranking is for the birds! Especially if you are double crushing.

I have changed this recipe a bit. Have not done FWH. Cascade and galaxy was used on boiling. Citra was used on hop stand and dry hopping.

Anyway, this brew tasted amazing when I was bottling. Great malty flavors, quite grainy. And how beautiful it is!

Here is my grain bill:
Pale Ale Malt - 75%
Munich Malt - 12.5%
Melanoidin Malt - 5%
Viena Malt - 3.7%
Crystal 40 - 3.7%

IMG-20140529-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20140529-WA0009 (1).jpg

IMG-20140529-WA0011.jpg

Latest posts

Back