Getting Started/Few Pics *56k*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
Here is what I have so far. I got my real homebrew kit about 2 weeks ago and have already put it to good use.

IMG_1007.jpg

Of course like everyone else, I had to make some Apfelwein:
IMG_1009.jpg

I have a second carboy and I can't decide whether or not to put it into secondary, or just try it in a few weeks once its done (suggestions?). The other carboy is just holding starsan for the time being unless I need it for something else.

That was set up on 5/15. I am talking to my girlfriend about modifying the next batch and doing half pear and half rasberry. I have a couple of Mr. Beer barrels so I will be using that next time. Also, I have a few of my old Mr. Beer Brews bottled and conditioning(not pictured, but I have about 60 +/- bottles).

Also, with the help of my girlfriend's brother, (He's been brewing AG for a year or two) we decided on making my first brew besides MRB a Whit. Here's the information about it:

OG 1.055
FG 1.014
IBU 11
ABV 5.3 %
SRM 3

Specifics
Boil Volume 6 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
100.0 % 6.00 Wheat Dry Malt Extract 55.2 3.2
6.00 55.2

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
100.0 % 1.00 Hallertau Whole/Plug 3.1 3.1 60 0.239 11.1

It is already bubbling away and it has just been a week that I have had it in the bucket. The yeast (wet) was pitched overnight to try and getting it going, and there was a bit of activity when it came to add it to the wort. Anyways, I'll probably keep updating this, but I had the time today. :rockin:

Has it overflowed yet? Just curious being that close to the top with no blow-off?

Looks good though! Congrats!

Apfelwein in the carboy? if so, no need to secondary that. leave it in primary a month, then rack to the bottling bucket, and bottle.

Is that beer or apfelwein?

If it's beer, you're going to have a hell of a time cleaning up the mess once that airlock blows off. Secure a blowoff tube ASAP. If it's apfelwein, you're good to go.

Thanks for the concern! That's Apfelwein in the carboy, and its already past its really bubbly stage with no noticable suckback. In the bucket I have the Whit.

I am hoping once the Apfelwein clears in a few weeks (I also added pectin to clear it a bit more) then I will be putting it into a corny keg for carbonation and drinking!

Back