Cold break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
I read something about a cold break anyone have some info on it and I also read something about clearing the Beer up with gelatin?

Cold break is the material that falls out of your wort when it chills. You can leave it in the pot or dump into the fermenter. Opinions vary. Yes you can clear a beer with gelatin. Buy the clear Knox gelatin from your grocery store. Put half a packet into 1 cup of warm water. Let it sit for 15 min and then almost bring to a boil. Do not boil!! Then add to your beer (works better when added to cold beer) a couple of days before you bottle or when you keg.

So does the gelatin absorb the yeast cells and drop to the bottom if the fermenter clearing the beer

So does the gelatin absorb the yeast cells and drop to the bottom if the fermenter clearing the beer

Kind of. It doesn't absorb the yeast, but rather the negative charged particles attract the positive charged particles forming larger particles which drop out of solution faster.

It really does work amazingly well, and can be used in conjunction with cold crashing. I add warm gelatin solution to room temperature beer then put the carboy in the fridge for a couple days before bottling.

Just do not get the gelatin too hot (boiling = bad) or else it will congeal into a nasty looking paste. You want it warm enough to bloom, but you are not trying to make beer jello :p (actually, that might be good...) I boil the water, let it cool, add the gelatin, let it bloom while it cools for a bit more, then pour it into the beer.

Back