Heatstick power cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarponteaser

Reaction score
While at Harbor freight getting some stuff, I noticed 12 gauge extension cords. A 10 footer for 9.99 and a 25 footer for 19.99.

The cover on the cord seems kinda thin...looks like you can see the bumps of the 3 wires under the cover. Exactly how my 100 ft extension cord looks after many years of coiling and uncoiling the cord for use.

I was tempted to save some dough on the heatstick build by getting the 25 foot extension cord to wire up the stick to a switch and a plug, but am not sure if the cord would be suitable for using in the heatstick.

Lowes has the bulk 12 AWG for about 1.30/ft, have not looked at it, but I'm sure it has better insulation and would be more suited for use in a heatstick placed in boiling wort( I imagine the inside of the heatstick pipe gets pretty hot).

Has anyone seen those Harbor Freight 12 Ga extension cords, and are they too cheap to use in a heatstick?

Thanks

That is an absolute no brainer. Buy the HF cord. You could buy 2 of 'em for the price of setting up one from elsewhere (including the cost of plugs et.al.).

I've used quite a few of the hf cords in my system. The bright yellow 12 ga cord has a fairly thick cover and has worked great so far

Linc

I use the blue 25 foot HF cords as the power cords for my brew rig. I just cut the female ends off and wired it into the GFCI outlet boxes.

They work great.

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back