Shopping for Longer BrewZilla G4 Power Cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The BrewZilla comes with a 6-foot power cord. Of course the objective is the lowest resistance cord possible to minimize voltage drop, and hence allow maximum power at the brew unit. But the 6-foot length is a bit too constraining for me, and I'm looking for something like 8-foot.

Kicking off an Amazon shopping search, I figured if I could go up from the 14 AWG sizing to something like 12 AWG, I'll have higher copper cross-section, and hence less voltage drop. That search didn't go well, so instead I focused on power cords rated for 20A instead of 15A (since I have a 20A receptacle on the wall in my brewery. But as I dove deeper into the Amazon comparison shopping black hole, I started to wonder if I was really getting anything as I compared across these cords.

On the one end, I'm constrained to a C13 connection to mate to the brewing unit. And I don't know if that right there sets the limitation that I won't be able to get anything with a larger diameter than 14 AWG. And if I'm limited to 14 AWG, is there really any difference between cords that will affect my voltage drop (other than the length)?

I know very little about AIOs.

Both length and gauge are a functions of voltage drop. 12 awg is under 1.6 ohms per 1000 ft. 14 awg is only good for under 15 amps and has 2.5 ohms per 1000 ft.

Another factor is resistance in the connections. Cheap cords have cheap connectors. They can get hot and melt when under a constant load.

The problem is that it is hard to find anything larger than 14/3 with a c13 due to it's specifications.
You can try this 8FT IEC 320 C-20 to IEC 320 C-13 Computer Power Cord 12/3 SJTW CEE and change the one end to a NEMA 5-15 (only rated to 15A) which solves your voltage drop issue, but that is so minimal that a good quality 14/3 cord with NEMA 5-15 to C13 would serve just as well.

Back