How much do you brew? Hitting the century mark.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Did the math the other day. with the batches I have purchased and brewing in the next 2 wks, along with one more batch, I will have hit 100gal since I started brewing in February. Luckily I plan on brewing at least 3 more batches including my first 10gal. batch. So I think I may hit the 120gal mark. Not bad for my first year of brewing I guess lol.

So, I know we have the "total" for all homebrewers, but I am interested in your individual totals. Is 100+ gallons a norm for a year total?

Can't wait to hear from ya.

Kyle

depends on how much we and all our friends drink. in general, yes, we all blow away the 100g mark. i have neighbors/friends who love the homebrew (as most of us do, since it blows out commercial bs), and i brew twice that

I usually brew (2) 5 gallon batches a month, to keep the 3 tap keggerator online. So, I guess I am about a 120 gallon brewer as well. I also usually knock out those two brews in one weekend, thus only brewing one weekend a month. I would brew everyday if I could, but SWMBO might keep track of that vs. my habit now ;)

I just added it all up, and I'm at 115 gallons this year. I've been whining about not having the time to brew as much as I want this year too....

So I looked up last year, and at the advice of my lawyer, I would say that I brewed exactly 200 gallons. Darndest :D thing...

:mug:

I just added it all up, and I'm at 115 gallons this year. I've been whining about not having the time to brew as much as I want this year too....

So I looked up last year, and at the advice of my lawyer, I would say that I brewed exactly 200 gallons. Darndest :D thing...

:mug:

i'm closing on 200 gallons. by my best calculations, i'll hit 200 gallons exactly right at the end of december :drunk:

Now that I think about it, I didn't start brewing until late feb. which means, come 2011, I will still have almost 2 more months...I could possibly put up 150gal in my first year of brewing. Now, realistically, I only brew for myself, but I am not stingy with my brew when it comes to guests, so I am pretty sure plenty of it get drank by others, still...That is an awful lot of beer...all of which I am awful proud of making :). ok, enough drunk rambling from me. Goodnite ya'll.

Kyle

I'm at batch 94 right now. Three and a half years in. If my move goes as I hope it does, I'll be able to brew up to about 98 by December. Beer #100 better rule.

I usually do 10 gallons every 2 weeks but this year is less as my tap water temps this summer where in the 80's and my balcony is south west facing too freakin hot.

So what I'm getting from this thread is:

1. It doesn't matter if your state allows homebrewing
2. It doesn't matter that there's a federal limit on how much you can brew
3. Homebrew is better than commercial beer

Interesting.

BTW, I've brewed 15 gallons this year and still haven't drunk it all. No one told me it was going to take this long to sneak the bits and pieces of my new 10G system in under the radar...

hmm guess not

1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are 2 or more adults in such household, or

(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only 1 adult in such household.

Year to date- 105 Gallons
SWMBO doesnt like beer so i will probably never hit the 200 gal limit

I think I have 7 5gallon batches since I started in June, but some batches ended up more like 4 gallons bottled... so about 30gallons-ish so far. Have not even finished drinking my 1st two batches though! I'm not aiming for any certain amount, having multiple homebrewed varieties on hand is all I'm looking for and just trying to brew when I have the chance to do so.

In GA, I believe the max a homebrewer can make in one calendar year is 50gallons.

EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, I cant recall if it is 50gallons per household, or 50gallons per adult in the household...

I started in July 2009 and have brewed right at 300 gallons so far. Of this, I dumped a 5 gallon batch, and spilled a 10 gallon batch when part of my rig broke. I have 45 gallons in process or in stock at the moment.

I'm waaaay behind this years since I: 1. shopped for, and bought a house, 2. moved, 3. am building a brewery in my basement.

However, in the past years, I was hitting somewhere between 200-300 gallons per year. Gotta keep the 4 tap kegerator full, and my friends quenched.

TiberplusIlovebrewingbeerBrew

If all goes as planned I should have 6 more brewdays before the year is up and that would put me at 125g's for the year. I just brewed my 51st all grain batch yesterday.:mug:

this is my first year of brewing but to date I've made 146 gallons. I have thirsty friends who help with brewing and consuming though

I started in late July. Since then I have brewed 30 gallons, so I'm at around 10 gallons a month. We'll see what I'm doing 1 year from now.

Now that I think about it, I didn't start brewing until late feb. which means, come 2011, I will still have almost 2 more months...I could possibly put up 150gal in my first year of brewing. Now, realistically, I only brew for myself, but I am not stingy with my brew when it comes to guests, so I am pretty sure plenty of it get drank by others, still...That is an awful lot of beer...all of which I am awful proud of making :). ok, enough drunk rambling from me. Goodnite ya'll.

Kyle

Brewing 60 cases in one year is no joke. Haha.

I didn't brew during the summer but I have 145 gallons made to date this year. I'll most likely hit 200 gallons before the end of the year.

with a new born, I don't have much time to brew so I moved to 10G batches so I am hoping to fit a brew in monthly so that would still put me over 100G

Yeah I just started doing 10 gallon batches. Had to tweak the process a bit with only a 12.5 gallon kettle but it all worked out. Sure is a lot better way to go about it if you can.

I finally decided to add it all up. I honestly did not have any idea where I would land. So far, 75 gallons with only about 15 more planned before the end of the year.

Makes sense considering there were several long stretches where the kegs were empty and I was drinking store-bought...

I just crossed the 100G barrier having brewed since February. With what's planned I should hit the 150G mark by the 1 year anniversary. I just did the math and thats like 66 cases of beer. Crap, I may have a problem...

Wow, I thought I was doing well with 9 5G batches brewed this year (started ~April).

Once I'm equipped to serve kegs, I will be brewing A LOT more. I hate bottling.

Doing 5 gallon batches and bottling seems to really slow things down. I don't know where you guys find all the time to be pushing 150-200gallons a year! I can barely get a day per month where I can get a good brew in.

That said I've got 30 gallons in this year, and have plans for at least 2 more batches. Sounds like I need to step it up and get equipment for 10gallon batches.

I go through phases where I think I'd be saving time by doing 10 gallon batches, but at our current rate of consumption, I'd only be brewing every other month. Apart from the multitude of other considerations in going from 5 to 10 gallon batches, I've concluded that the biggest issue would be the erosion of my skills if I brew that seldom.

I go through phases where I think I'd be saving time by doing 10 gallon batches, but at our current rate of consumption, I'd only be brewing every other month. Apart from the multitude of other considerations in going from 5 to 10 gallon batches, I've concluded that the biggest issue would be the erosion of my skills if I brew that seldom.

I agree, and 10 gallon's is a lot of just one style of beer. I like to have a lot of variety around at one time.

50g, probably another 20 this year. didn't brew much this summer, hope to finish strong. brewed 3 times in the last 4 weeks.

I'm at 80 right now, and I started in mid June. Grad school has really been keeping me away these last few weeks, and I moved mid-year so I was dry for awhile.

I'm planning to move to 10 gallon batches next month to make brew days count for more. I haven't had both taps full in a long time.

Back