So I can use my wild yeast bread starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhomer

Reaction score
I've been maintaining a wild yeast bread starter for over a year now. I use flour from a local mill that buys local grain so my starter should have a pretty local strain.

I'd imagine if I put some into a wort it would take off pretty easily. So what can I make with this stuff?

Make a simple wheat beer to get a feel for it's flavor. A saison would be the obvious beer to make with that. I made a weizen from some yeast I got off a peach and was surprised by its relatively neutral character, similar to a German Ale/Kolsch yeast.

So, you might be surprised what you could make with it. It may be a good house strain for a lot of different beers.

I made a kvass with a purchased SF sourdough starter. It fermented out well, but I was disappointed that it never developed much funk or sourness. I made a small DME starter to get the microbes adjusted before pitching into the beer, not sure that is necessary though. Good luck.

Yeah I'd make a dme starter first just to see what happens when I add the bread starter.

One potential problem I see is that home brewing seems to be all about sanitation. There's no sanitation in my bread starter, I keep it in the same crusty jar on my fridge/counter for months. They tell me that once the yeast colony establishes itself, they will keep the bad guys out.

how are you going to innoculate your beer?

i think those wild bread starters have a lot of lacto

Back