A Klosch recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe for a Kolsch? An extra recipe specifically. It doesn't seem to be that popular. Huh. I've only had the Saranac Kolsch and one Kolsch who's name eludes me on tap. Anyways, anyone had success with this style?
-Ben

I always have a Koelsch on tap. It's one of my favorite beers, and it's always a big hit withthe macro-brewed beer drinkers. I started with the recipe from Beer Captured, and made some modifications along the way. Here's what I got after 5 batches.

This is a partial mash recipe. I mash the grains for 90 minutes and then sparge and start the boil. Also, I do not add the DME until the end of the boil. This helps to keep the color light by limiting caramelization during the boil.

1 lb lb Munich malt
2 lb german 2-row

2.5lb extra light DME
1.5 lb Wheat DME

All hops plugs or leaf
1.75 oz tettanger (60 min)
1/2 oz hallertauer (15 min)
1/2 oz saaz (5 min)
1/2 oz Hallertauer (5 min)

White Labs Koelsch Yeast

Enjoy,

Matt

And here is one that I'm calling Brewsmith's Leftover Kolsch. I used German Pilsener malt instead of the American, but other than that followed Brewsmith's recipe. It's just ready to bottle, so it'll be a few weeks before I can really evaluate it.

Back