Freezing Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khirsah17

Reaction score
I have been having some leak issues with my kegerator for the last month or so. I have a 10lb tank feeding 6 cornelius kegs. I keep finding my tank empty after about a week or so. I've done leaks checks everywhere, but am having a hard time finding anything suspicious. However, last week at a wedding I killed all 6 kegs, but was surprised to find that the tank and the regulator had frozen over, and the tank went from full to empty. Is it safe to assume that if I have a frozen regulator, that's where the problem is? I think where the leak starts is at the push connect fittings. Even though I leak checked there and didnt find anything obvious, after about 30 mins I find the tubing from the push connects to be frozen first, and condensation building up on the regulator itself. When the lines freeze over, I dont think the push connects form a seal anymore. Has anyone ever had experience with a regulator freezing over?

When I built the kegerator initially, I thought push connects where a great idea. However, the more I use them the more I'm not a fan. On the inside of the kegerator, it's really easy to catch the lines when moving kegs around, straining the line at the push connects and causing small leaks. Any advice here? I'm thinking about replacing those fitting with barbs, even though it takes longer to connect/disconnect.

Here's a picture of the regulator about 15 mins after getting connected. Condensation is building up, and the lines are getting cold to the touch. I turned off the CO2 before they froze over.

Any help would be really appreciated. I'm sick of paying lots of money for tank refills, and it's really interfering with the drinking process!

IMG_0874.JPG

You need to isolate the problem. Unhook all kegs from CO2. Leak check the regulator and it's connection to the CO2 bottle (I think this is where the problem is). Check all Corny connectors for leaks (each one has a plunger with a seal in it). Always check each keg you hook up for leaks because just 1 leak emptys the CO2 tank. The big O'ring can leak big time. Reseat this if it leaks. Check the posts for leaks (with CO2 connected). I use a spray bottle with Starsan because it bubbles like crazy when you have a leak and also does not contaminate the keg at the fill point if you have to reseat the o'ring because of a leak. Leak check each new keg and every keg you put on tap each time and you will not loose CO2.

Latest posts

Back