Hallo from Deutschland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
err, ah... San Diego :p

A couple months ago I started looking up how to brew your own beer. Browsed kits on eBay, glanced at Mr. Beer, watched youtube videos, etc. I eventually decided that I will get a 2 fermentation stage kit with a glass carboy from either Midwest or a local shop here called homebrewmart.com - The best part? My girlfriend is getting it for me for Christmas :)

I just joined this forum 2 days ago and have learned a ton already. I like the pace of this board, and I foresee being here awhile. I can't wait to brew and get some tips from you guys.

A little about me:
My work and hobbies include video production, drumming, and motorsports. That list will soon include home brewing, and I can't wait! I'm going to call my deutsches Bier Holzhausen, which is my last name. I've even already designed a label for my first brew. Did anyone else have their labels before they had their kit? I might be getting a bit ahead of myself :p

Wilkomen Herr NitrouStang96,
The guys at HBM are great. That is where my wife got me my first kit, back when we lived walking distance from them. Now I live in Carlsbad, and I still usually go there for my stuff.
Feel free to let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Awesome, thanks Germey! Nice to have someone so close.

So, do you like their prices on things? I'll probably be getting my kit from them as well, and I'm wondering if you think I'd be doing well if I did so, or maybe they're a bit pricey.

Their kit prices are fine and the equipment is good. Really, the starters are pretty similar wherever you go. HBM includes a good first ingredient kit in their prices. I'd go with either kit 2 or kit 3 depending on the budget. Also, start prowling for a deal on a turkey fryer kit. The stovetop gets old really quick, and there is nothing of value to be learned from starting there (unlike bottling, which everyone should have to do for a while) ;)
I've recently bought a few batches of stuff from morebeer dot com (Edit: Oops, forgot about no linking to online sellers). They have some things HBM doesn't, and vice versa, but the cost per batch comes out about the same.
Have fun.

Awesome, thanks!

Do you have a preference in the extracts they have? I want to make something good that all of my friends will like, and I was thinking of the hefeweizen.

We'll not knowing your friends, it's a bit tough to say. I personally wouldn't start with a Heff, but I know many people here have. My feelings are that one should start with a basic "beer" and do a few before branching off into some of the exceptions to the "malt, hops, water, yeast" formula. I would go with their Pale ale, amber ale, or red ale kit for a first run.
Really though, do what you want to make, that's why you are going this direction ain't it?

Back