2 days, still no activity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAlexander

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Making a Honey Kolsch using Wyeast American Wheat yeast. When brewing I noticed the bag didn't seem to be inflating as normal, so I waited an hour or so with the wort in the carboy before adding the yeast. Even when I added it it still hadn't seemed to inflate much more, but I figured what the hell. Pitched the yeast, shook it up a bit as normal and let it go. Well it's been almost 2 days with 0 sign of activity. Every other time I've brewed it's taken less than 12 hours for the fermenting to start. Should I sit tight another day or so? What could be wrong? Any possible solutions?

Give another day.. after 72 hours, then start worrying, might need to add some more yeast. I used a Wyeast smack pack recently and didn't swell at all. Pitched anyway. At the 65 hour mark, bubble started to show slowly... then after the third day my blow off tube was full yeast and fermentation was going crazy.

Sometimes my yeast takes a few to take off, just look in the surface for what I call spittle on the surface.

Yay, after 60 hours finally we've got bubbles on the surface and a little airlock activity. Not a lot, but a hell of a lot more than the dead stillness we had before. I'm sure it will be fermenting away heavily in no time. Thanks guys!

How old was the yeast? Did it feel normal when you smacked it?
Mine usually swell within a couple hours. The one exception was one that had a jacked up inner pack. It barely swelled and when I cut open the outer pack, the inner one looked like it was catty whompus in the sealing machine or something. I think it was only partially filled.
Now I'm wondering...Does the inner pack hold the yeast or the wort????

The inner pack hold a bit of wort. Just enough to proof the yeast, not to act as a starter. Depending on how old your yeast is, your pack should start to swell soon after rupturing the inner pouch.

Back