When she told you that size does not matter.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
She was not talking about your brew room. Because, when it comes to that, it does matter......

When I moved into this house almost 3 years ago there was a 5x8 room in the unfinished side of the basement that had only a work bench and a 4 foot shop light in it. I used it for storage until I started brewing. Then I made it into my brew room. It worked well but being so small I ran out of room fast. For the last few months I was just getting frustrated every time I had to do something in that room. I need it to be bigger.
So, I have some vacation time that I needed to burn up before the end of the month, what a great time to fix this "little problem" of mine.

I got up in the morning and headed to the lumber yard to get every thing I needed.
then since it's a homebrew project it just would not be right to start without poring myself a home brew.
My Red Dragon IPA.

VQRXQ-MVC-700F.JPG

Then I got started. Here is what it looked like.
YWCBI-MVC-705F.JPG

QGTPO-MVC-703F.JPG

OBTRE-MVC-702F.JPG

I now had the choice, do I make it 3 feet wider and longer or just longer. After looking at what all I would have to work around (gas pipes, heater ducts, lights and having it up against my dog kennel. I decided to just go longer. It will now be 5x16.

I first cut out the end wall and moved it out of the way.

PSNXB-MVC-706F.JPG

I then moved it over to the 16 foot mark and reattached it to the floor and center wall.

PIURW-MVC-708F.JPG

Then I built a new wall to attach the two walls that I had.

YFDAB-MVC-709F.JPG

I then wired in some outlets and sheeted the ceiling and walls with 4x8 sheets of dry erase board. I went with that because I wanted it white, cheap, and easy to clean if I had a brew blow up on me. Oh and because it was cheap. As it was I dropped about $300 into this. More then I wanted but it was so worth it.

Here it is all closed up.

DGQJF-MVC-711F.JPG

And here it is on the inside and all moved in.

TRGUG-MVC-714F.JPG

PHWPT-MVC-715F.JPG

Next up, I will run some PVC thru the wall and over to the window. I am building two 15.5 gallon fermenters (old kegs) and I plan to have them on the shelves and will run a hose thru the window down the PVC and hooked to the keg fermenters. The brew will run from the CFC and right into the fermenters. No more lugging the beer down stairs. I will then use CO2 to rack the beer to kegs when it's time.

My cuts were not very clean and the two walls that I "reused" were not very square. So the joints are bad. but I did it in a day and it's good enough for the beer to sleep in.

hell yeah. i envy your basement. almost makes me want to move back to iowa. almost ;)

i wish i had that kinda space. here's my brew closet:

closet.jpg

i think i'm going to clean the clothes out of my bedroom closet :D

Back