I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've raised 3 kids and numerous animals. I'm ready for the whole-house spacking/paint job.

This past weekend I went up in the attic and rooted around and found the dead rat nested in the insulation that was causing the smell in my youngest boy's bedroom. No small job considering it's over 90 down here and a dead ripe rat is very aromatic.

That is exactly what I am doing. Starting with the downstairs bathroom then working my way through the house patching/fixing/finishing with a low budget kitchen remodel mixed in there.

I would have hired out that rat job or puked in the attic...

BTW, Has anyone heard of sending a garden soil sample to Ward Labs? I see they test soil but it doesn't seem to be geared towards a small garden. I filled a yeast vial and may mail it out tomorrow. It looks like a good thorough test is about $25. I had not so good results with my garden last year and am hoping for to find an obvious fix.

My almost 9yo son amazes me. We just talked for over an hour. He wants to be everything and do everything. He is smart. He will be able to do anything.
The crappy part of life is that you can't do everything. You have to chose something. Sure, you can change your mind at some point and go a new direction but that is so hard to do once you have a career. I only started thinking about what I wanted to do with my life when I was twice his age.

I may take inspiration from him and search out my true calling. I just haven't figured out what it is yet. Is anyone out there doing exactly what they want to do?

I like this time of night.

I've been at my job for thirty years, with nine more until I can retire with maximum benefits.

I like my job, and don't want to move up in the pay structure. That would mean meetings and paperwork, not at all the same type of work. I'll never make much money, but also don't have the stress I'd feel in a management position.

My work location (group home) had been pretty dull lately, with elderly residents until the past year or so. A few died, and younger ones have moved in. They have some challenging behavioral issues, and I always enjoyed the naughty ones. Figure out what pisses them off, and don't do it! That's the whole trick in a nutshell. :)

My almost 9yo son amazes me. We just talked for over an hour. He wants to be everything and do everything. He is smart. He will be able to do anything.
The crappy part of life is that you can't do everything. You have to chose something. Sure, you can change your mind at some point and go a new direction but that is so hard to do once you have a career. I only started thinking about what I wanted to do with my life when I was twice his age.

I may take inspiration from him and search out my true calling. I just haven't figured out what it is yet. Is anyone out there doing exactly what they want to do?

I like this time of night.

I guess I'm as close as they get. I grew up taking stuff apart to see how it worked - I wanted to be an inventor. Now, I work out of my house as a design consultant. I design electronic stuff (mostly medical, but commercial and some military too). I have all the tools to do everything right here. Pays well, which is nice. Only downside is that I rarely leave the house except to bike at lunchtime.

Mahalo, Dan. Hope all is well. And the same to the rest of ya. I hope everyone is doing well, is relaxed and living the dream. Even though I do not speak up much in this thread it gives me much comfort and I feel included just lurking. I hope that I can pass on some of my current zen relaxed happy mood with the rest of you all. Cheers!

Cheers DrunkleJon! Great write up. Nice vibes you bring indeed!

Hope everybody has a great weekend ahead. Job hunting and honey do's keeping me fairly busy. The job search is dismal. There is a local Vet center down the street so I checked them out the other day and have another appointment today. Looking at possibly getting retrained through their Vocational Rehab program. Im in the beginning application stages and if I qualify it's an awesome program. I ran into a guy at Costco the other day. I was sitting down eating one of the $1.50 polish dogs and soda. He asked if he could share my table. I noticed he had some Kirkland beer in his cart. I'd never heard of it and we got to talking about beer.

Long story short he moved here about the same time I did except he came for a job. He told me years ago the VA retrained him in heavy equipment and his job is a crane operator. I never knew crane operators made so much money. We'll see where the potential retraining goes, it might be a longshot but worth it.

Cheers and Aloha!

Long story short he moved here about the same time I did except he came for a job. He told me years ago the VA retrained him in heavy equipment and his job is a crane operator. I never knew crane operators made so much money. We'll see where the potential retraining goes, it might be a longshot but worth it.

Cheers and Aloha!

Hi Dan, when I retired from the Service, I was classed as 50% disabled by the VA. I started at a company building custom aluminum boats. After 2 years, the VA told me I couldn't do that anymore because I was making my body worse. They retrained me in computers, I've been working in them ever since. Much better pay then boat building although I miss the test runs in the new boats and customers taking me out fishing/hunting.

Hope everybody has a great weekend ahead. Job hunting and honey do's keeping me fairly busy. The job search is dismal. There is a local Vet center down the street so I checked them out the other day and have another appointment today. Looking at possibly getting retrained through their Vocational Rehab program. Im in the beginning application stages and if I qualify it's an awesome program. I ran into a guy at Costco the other day. I was sitting down eating one of the $1.50 polish dogs and soda. He asked if he could share my table. I noticed he had some Kirkland beer in his cart. I'd never heard of it and we got to talking about beer.

Cheers and Aloha!

Get your captains license you anchor clanker. I hear they make bank, especially in the bays and harbors where they are required to take over and and navigate into ports.

Hello night crew,
Just recently got back into fishing and have been taking my two young boys along with me. I think they are hooked now. Been asking me everyday to go. Hadn't really done any fishing since moving to Nebraska as they just dont have as nice of places as CA did but we're figuring it out and its great time with the kids. Makes me dread going to work. Fell like we could do a hell of a lot more fishing if I played hooky.

Cheers and Aloha!

If you can take advantage of that voc rehab. Might be a good way to work yourself into a more Hawaii marketable career. As far as I'm concerned its worth every penny to make sure a guy can make it. I highly doubt military pension is enough to live on long term out there, unless you were a colonel or something.

(Edit Book long, I have a lot of time on my hands these days, I won't lie and say I hate being unemployed for the moment. This is longish)

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Anchor clanker?:mug: hahaha! I truly never heard that one before but kind of like it, Jarhead! :D.

I would never have even thought about a career as a captain so thanks, Pappy! To be around the water all day long but never have to spend nights on end at sea, that would be pretty much heaven in my books.

I'm not sure how the retraining works. Many years ago like 26 :eek: I left the Navy for awhile and my plan was to attend Parks Aeronautical University near St Louis to get an Airframe and Powerplant license. They had a top notch program, I'm sure they still do. Most of the graduating classes for both the A&P and Aeronautical engineering got picked up my McDonnell Douglass (now Boeing) At least that's what they told us at the in brief.

Long story short. I was newly married with my first wife, she got pregnant and I was soon to be a dad. I freaked out a bit and jumped back into the Navy. Didn't finish the program. There was a guy there, young Marine. He had been medically discharged from the MC and his schooling was being paid for by the VA. Pretty sweet deal. Never put another thought into it till 26 or so years later.

A shame the VA is in news recently for lack of taking care of vets. They have in the past done a wonderful job helping out America's veterans in my opinion, at least me and many I know. I think there are always exceptions but I have nothing bad to say. Even though my VA rated disability warrants 100% medical coverage from them I have never used that system and doubt I ever will.

I went down to the HI DMV today to register my motorcycle; I registered my wife's a few weeks ago without a hiccup. HI respects our CA registration but still wants the bikes in their system which means a $20 safety inspection and $5.50 registration transfer fee. Not a big deal except my bike failed the safety check which I sort of figured it would because the back tire was pretty much bald. I have a car, so the bike's needs as much as I love her was put on the back burner. Motorcyle tires, at least on HDs are ridiculously expensive and labor aint cheap either so changing the tire was on the bottom of the list of things to spend limited income on. But I got it changed out.

I had the tire replaced, a beautiful new one good for another 10K miles. I had my preliminary Safety Tag and headed to the DMV very happy. Guess what? They wouldn't register my bike because I didn't have the receipt from the shipping company. I didn't have the receipt from the shipping company when I registered my wife's bike either and that wasn't a problem. Today, me not having one for mine was.. oh well, red tape bureaucratic BS rules freely in the land of Aloha! yea

Tomorrow is another day. On an inspirational note! My step-daughter recently became the President of "Hawaii Junior Achievements" a nonprofit organization that brings outside educational resources into the Hawaii school systems, all islands. Today she was nominated as one of the top "under 40" executives for the state! Wow! Pretty freaking cool. :mug::mug:

You sure seem to run into more than your share of red tape, Dan. It is hard to stay calm and patient in those situations...

You sure seem to run into more than your share of red tape, Dan. It is hard to stay calm and patient in those situations...

Truer words never spoken. But we all deal with it everyday. I love America as I know you do. I'd love her more without so much GD red tape and bureaucracy. Who wouldn't?

At LAX... Prepping for 15 hours in coach by drinking several Golden Road IPAs...

1401434169989.jpg

At LAX... Prepping for 15 hours in coach by drinking several Golden Road IPAs...

Drink up! Just dont sleep through your plane change. I hate with a Capital H, flying. Done way too much over the years. Stay hydrated and rest.

The end is always a relief and if family is waiting even better.

If they aren't there i have no inspiring words, sorry. Ive been there to many times for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm a self centered, and an opinionated jerk. What I say here should be taken with a grain of salt.

I Have no idea why a grain of salt analogy is significant... Just something to say to mean, take it for what it' worth. '

People take themselves to seriously in my opinion. I figure I'm a foolish idiot. Makes not being great very bearable.

Dan's stupid thought for the day.

I'm a self centered, and an opinionated jerk. What I say here should be taken with a grain of salt.

I Have no idea why a grain of salt analogy is significant... Just something to say to mean, take it for what it' worth. '

People take themselves to seriously in my opinion. I figure I'm a foolish idiot. Makes not being great very bearable.

Dan's stupid thought for the day.

I think Bender said it best in Futurama "Yeah, but everybody's a jerk. You, me, this jerk. (Points at some guy) That's my philosophy." Most everyone is self centered, opinionated and a jerk. If we weren't we wouldn't be human, though that really does not say for the human race. What really matters and contributes to our greatness is how we handle our foolishness and idiocy and that we do not let our shortcomings take control.

My take on this is that pretty much everyone who hangs out in this thread tend to be good people.

Just the Drunkle channeling his inner Yoda. See? IPA's make me think-y and philosophical.

I brewed 10g of a pilsner and 10g of a smokebeer Memorial day. Also made a giant batch of kimchi and 5# of salami.

So, I'll drink the beer. Even the smokebeer; some might wonder why I'd make so much of it, but I do like.

The salami is drying and will be ready in a couple of weeks. I'll eat that and make more.

But the kimchi. Too much. I like it, but there's no way to eat 2 gallons of kimchi. I'll do my best though.

Do you guys and gals ever wonder about our guts? We eat all this great living "probiotic" stuff. We must have some seriously active flora /fauna in there.

One of my favorite albums of all time is Skylarking from XTC. I go back to it all the time when I'm tired of everything else. For your late nite summer soundtrack, XTC.

Last edited:
My dog was diagnosed with cancer. She's the center of life in the household. For some reason I had this song running through my head this morning:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gVdOQvx379Y[/ame]

But the kimchi. Too much. I like it, but there's no way to eat 2 gallons of kimchi. I'll do my best though.

I do things big too. I never had any problems getting through my batches of kimchi though. I should make one soon if I am going to. Napa cabbage is starting to show up now. I need to order some more pepper flakes. Our grocery actually started offering daikon too.

You could ship some to me. It sounds really good right about now.

I think we had our first realy summer-like day today. I was out in the sun fixing a sign for about 3 hours and am not used to heat above room temperature yet.

The mosquitos are thriving. I always forget about them when I wish for warm weather.

Sorry about the pup. A good pet(especially a dog) is hard to lose. Dogs truly do know how to steal your affection. They know how to read you and can manipulate you like no ones business. Stand by your pup through the end.

My dog was diagnosed with cancer. She's the center of life in the household. For some reason I had this song running through my head this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gVdOQvx379Y

That SUCKS!!!! My little dog Dasher is my hingepoint between love and loss. Someday he will be gone, it's inevitable. I know his normal life expectancy and am holding on to the hope he lives it fully and isn't short changed.

It breaks my heart to hear of your dog's troubles. Lets 'hope he kicks the crap out of the cancer and you two continue to be best buddies for years to come..

Our dog was diagnosed with a form of cancer years ago. All vet could offer was meds to make life better no cure. So far so good after 3 years. Yeah she is slower. need to pick her up into and out of car these days. Dread the final day.

Stand by urs Dynachrome, she is family.

Sorry to hear about the pup. I had one poisened by a neighbor once. I have never let myself become that attached to a pet since. Good song.

Now that is even sadder than a dog with cancer. It's odd how people can be fond of an animal, but how nice it is to love something so simply! If you've had that love for an animal once, it's still in you. Don't let it go fallow for too long.

I really loved my last dog. So much that I (not just me-everyone) waited a bit longer than we should have to let her go. Current dog is still a mental case hyperactive, so a week or two without him is a relief.
Okay, it's never been two weeks, but I can dream.

I do things big too. I never had any problems getting through my batches of kimchi though. I should make one soon if I am going to. Napa cabbage is starting to show up now. I need to order some more pepper flakes. Our grocery actually started offering daikon too.

You could ship some to me. It sounds really good right about now.

I think we had our first realy summer-like day today. I was out in the sun fixing a sign for about 3 hours and am not used to heat above room temperature yet.

The mosquitos are thriving. I always forget about them when I wish for warm weather.

Yea I got daikon radish at my grocery store. I thought I needed to go to the oriental place, but bam there it was.

Don't forget, mosquitoes are terrible fliers. Get a little air flow and they disappear. If are hosting a party, or just sitting around, consider getting a box fan and moving the air a bit.

VF-161. Chargers! Some footage of not just them

Go Navy - life was a blast back then. No drugs except adrenalin

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Near the end of the video an F-4 Phantom shadows a Russian Bear. Bears flew over the ship occasionally. Ruskie show of strength. We do the same too. Fly the Stars and Stripes as a show of force, American power! A sign that says Dont F with us

When there was a Bear overhead an F4 Phantom flew directly below the Bombay doors. The Bear couldn't drop a bomb in that situation. Navy pilots, excuse me, Naval aviators have nuts the size of very large bowling balls. No better guys or gals in the world in my biased opinion.

I need to correct myself. After watching the Midway. video again,
i believe an A-7 was shadowing the Bear, not an F-4.

Just wanted to get the facts straight

We had to put down my parents dog a couple weeks ago. Not a fun experience. I knew it was going to suck, but it was worse than I had imagined. I still feel guilty about it. Like we betrayed him or something. He was in a lot of pain, but if he could talk I wonder if he wouldn't have chose to stick around a little longer.

Found a new fishing spot up north of me. Been slaying crappie last couple of weeks. Binge fishing you might say. Time for a big fish fry. Too bad you all live too far away to invite.

I've got some stout I kegged up recently. I think I let it sit on the yeast too long. Tastes a little off. It's drinkable, but I shouldn't have neglected it for as long as I did. I also used some different base malt, so I'm sure that's throwing me off a little too, but I'm pretty sure I've got some autolysis flavor going on. Should have used a secondary this time I think.

Good morning Late Nighters

It is a rainy morning in Lower Alabama (the real L.A. ;) )

I have a few chores to attend to this morning and then plan on dry hopping the IPA that I brewed a couple of weeks ago and then bottle the smaller beer I made from the second runnings.

If the rain lets up I may go down the road to a local place for a mini music fest with some local talent for a while.

I want to take my daughter to see Lisa Mills.

A little blues for a rainy Saturday morning

I have a good friend that lives in LA. We worked over seas together. He had some Alabama bottled water shipped in once. It was some fire let me tell you ;) Haven't talked to him in a while. Good tune.

I often wish I could meet guys like you all. In person, we seem to have some things in common. I'm not joking when I ask - How does a person meet people and make friends these days in a public surrounding? I really don't know.. This thread is big and small. Many of us post here and I believe we are friends, I just wish you guys lived close by.

CGVT, I'm listening to the song you posted as I type this. I love this song, never heard it before now. Thanks man!

We had to put down my parents dog a couple weeks ago. Not a fun experience. I knew it was going to suck, but it was worse than I had imagined. I still feel guilty about it. Like we betrayed him or something. He was in a lot of pain, but if he could talk I wonder if he wouldn't have chose to stick around a little longer. QUOTE]

BBL, I didn't put a like on your post because that might come across wrong. You did the best thing for your dog I believe. Dogs are crazy great loving beings. My little dog Dasher wakes me up sometimes licking my face. Gross, I know where that tongue has been! Hahaha.

When I was a kid my dad "put down" our dog Tammy. She had some cancerous growth on her front right knee. She was an outdoor farm dog. A very hearty soul who loved to run, chase rabbits, sleep in the snow and greet you everyday with a big dog smile. I was pretty young when he had to euthanasia her. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a decision he made easily but he knew it was better to put her to sleep then let her continue a life of pain.

I'm truly sorry you got put in that situation and had to make the call. Guilt sucks and haunts. Just know, you did a good thing by putting your pup out of pain. You know as well as I do she would have suffered and still loved without boundaries even if she was hurting. But the humane thing to do was let her go.

These are big expectations and ridiculous words of encouragement from a guy who still has a healthy dog. I hope I never get put in the situation you have had to deal with, but if I do I hope I'm as strong as you.

A Cheers doesn't sound appropriate so I'll just say - You're a good man who made a tough choice and I believe it was the correct one.

Dan

We had to put down my parents dog a couple weeks ago. Not a fun experience. I knew it was going to suck, but it was worse than I had imagined. I still feel guilty about it. Like we betrayed him or something. He was in a lot of pain, but if he could talk I wonder if he wouldn't have chose to stick around a little longer.

Found a new fishing spot up north of me. Been slaying crappie last couple of weeks. Binge fishing you might say. Time for a big fish fry. Too bad you all live too far away to invite.

I've got some stout I kegged up recently. I think I let it sit on the yeast too long. Tastes a little off. It's drinkable, but I shouldn't have neglected it for as long as I did. I also used some different base malt, so I'm sure that's throwing me off a little too, but I'm pretty sure I've got some autolysis flavor going on. Should have used a secondary this time I think.
As someone who has put down their share of dogs it's never easy but you need to weigh what's good for you against what what's good for the animal, I have seen people allow an animal to suffer because they didn't want to put them down and it's not fair, please don't feel guilt in doing what needed to be done.

On another subject,
How long did the stout sit in the primary?

Thanks guys.

The stout was in primary for 8-10 weeks I think. Kind of lost track. Longest I've ever let it sit on the yeast cake. My stouts age very well in the keg waiting for a spot in the frige, so I'm pretty sure it just sat on the yeast too long. Maybe it'll mellow as it cold conditions. I'm going to drink it regardless. Hopefully I can get rid of some of it at the fish fry. Once you get a buzz on it all tastes good.

Latest posts

Back