Flaked corn vs Rice vs rice syrup solids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I am working up a recipe for an ale variation of a mexican lager. light, low on the hops and low abv, good spring/summer beer that any beer drinker will drink.
(ok, flame away).
Since I can not lager, or am just to fearful to try I will make an ale.
Looking and comparing other similar recipes I notice many use Rice, many use flaked corn and some use Rice syrup solids.
I know both corn and rice provide body, but does it matter which I use?
Does one lend itself more than the others?
in all my reading I have come to 2 conclusions:
1-corn gives a bit of a corn flavor
2-corn need 6 row to convert the starches
The recipe is below:
6# pilsner
1# rice or flaked corn (if flaked corn add 1# 6 row)
.25# carapils
.25 carapils
.5 oz brewers gold (45 min)
.5 oz brewers golds (10 min)
yeast- S-05, maybe Wyeast 1056

Can anyone point me to a resource which give me a good break down of corn over rice or the syrup?
Or just give me some decent advice.
Thanks!
:tank:

Plain flaked corn or rice are not going to provide body. Those type of adjuncts are used to lighten the beer in color and flavor. Yes the corn will contribute a little flavor, the rice not so much it leans towards dry/crisp. Commercial mega lagers are using the corn/rice adjuncts at much higher rates than in your recipe so the results in your beer will be more subtle. You can sample the effects by tasting commercial brews. Budweiser is well-known for their use of rice. Busch, from the same company, uses corn. Sampling these two brews might be a good way to experience the differences in the two grains. Maybe you know somebody who drinks them so you don't have to actually buy any. ;)

As far as syrup goes, as long as you are brewing all-grain I think it makes sense and is probably simpler to just add the flakes to your grain bill.

I would use flaked corn,you'll get some flavor from it. Rice won't really give you anything but alcohol. I definitely wouldn't use the syrup it's too expensive for what is. If you want to use rice I'd use minute rice. Don't worry about using 6 row either unless your using some under modified bohemian pilsner malt, most pilsner malt will convert that much corn in your grist with no problem. I'd use domestic 2 row and I wouldn't use any caraipils, think about throwing in some just plain old cane sugar, personally when I do these I use brown sugar.
:mug:
weez

Use 34/70 yeast. Even at ale temps it'll be cleaner than an ale yeast.

I have made a few rice lagers over the past few years and I use a white sticky rice and I make it the night before and add double the water so it is super gelatinous and gooey.

10 gallons
16 lbs 2 row
5 lbs dry rice
Lager yeast.

As what was already said rice will not add any real flavor but will dry it out. I was going for a dry Japanese style beer, it was a great summer beer nice and dry, crisp and refreshing. I actually have 10 gallons in fermenters now that I brewed in November.

I would also recommend not using an ale yeast, if you can't ferment cold I would recommend Wyeast 2112, it's a hybrid yeast that has some of the lager qualities that your looking for.

If you can keep the temperature of the fermenting beer in the mid 50's for a week I'd suggest Nottingham yeast as it ferments slow and clean at that temp range. Some describe it as "lager like". After a week you can let it warm to room temp to clean up any off flavors and complete the ferment.

Made my first lager two weeks ago and I'm already drinking it...Yes you heard correct..two weeks. Granted its getting by the day and the last beer will be the best but still..I aint complaining. I say go for a lager because that's what your going for and US05 isn't going to get you there. I'm not a fan of corn in beer, think Miller, to me that's a corn beer. I'm more a BL light guy which is rice. You say you cant make a lager. Do have no temp control? If you have temp control you can make one.
I went with nothing but 2 row and rice with 34/70 yeast...A beer my BL drinkin buddies will enjoy.

20170218_170103_resized.jpg

I only have temp control for a warm water bath.
If I leave the water bath heated it can drop to 60 with no help,
Add some ice and I can get to mid 50's.

I guess I can try to lager

Back