Brett C - what to make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazelbrew

Reaction score
I have got carried away with new toys.. Erlenmeyer flasks and a stir plate.

I now have a 2.5 litre starter of white labs Brett c that has been stepped up twice to get to this point. It has been on a heated stir plate at 240rpm and 25C through the steps.

I had intended to make some sort of 100% Brett IPA with it.

What would you make?

I should add..
I like all sorts of beers. Saison, IPA, English pale ale, darker beers like porter, lambic, Berliner weisse.

I have some pilsner lme and a whole bunch of grains.. Pilsner, Belgian, wheat and English pale malts.

I have done partial mash and extract before but never a full mash. There has to be a first time right?

I do have temperature control so can ferment as hot or cold as needed. I will bottle what I make.

My initials thought are either
- an pale ale or IPA
-saison
- darker for aging like an old ale

My vote would be for an Old Ale. It'll be ready for those cooler months. I did a wonderful hibiscus saison with brett c that was amazing at six months. It's now a little over a year old and it smells like a pineapple horse saddle in Hawaii.

My vote would be for an Old Ale. It'll be ready for those cooler months. I did a wonderful hibiscus saison with brett c that was amazing at six months. It's now a little over a year old and it smells like a pineapple horse saddle in Hawaii.

Well I know what pineapple smells like. Horse saddles and Hawaii no!

100% Brett old ale? Or mixed fermentation?

Having gone to the trouble of a big starter I was hoping to do a 100% Brett ferment. Though that is not a.must.

I do like porters, stouts, old ale and the heavier Belgian beers. Especially in winter when cold and raining. And in the UK winter is cold and raining a lot...

Any recipe pointers?

A simple "banker" of a recipe ready by Christmas would be ideal. I am not bothered about complexity of grain bill, fruit, etc. Quite happy for.something simple and proven. I have already made some BIAB mistakes of unplanned messy grain bill that...while beer is a muddlento drink.

I wonder what.a theakston Old Peculiar clone would be like with 100% Brett? Or Old Tom?

Use your big starter to make a 100% brett IPA with loads of c hops, ready in about a month, then dose an old ale with the dregs of one of the bottles. Best of both worlds!

Well I know what pineapple smells like. Horse saddles and Hawaii no!

100% Brett old ale? Or mixed fermentation?

Having gone to the trouble of a big starter I was hoping to do a 100% Brett ferment. Though that is not a.must.

I do like porters, stouts, old ale and the heavier Belgian beers. Especially in winter when cold and raining. And in the UK winter is cold and raining a lot...

Any recipe pointers?

A simple "banker" of a recipe ready by Christmas would be ideal. I am not bothered about complexity of grain bill, fruit, etc. Quite happy for.something simple and proven. I have already made some BIAB mistakes of unplanned messy grain bill that...while beer is a muddlento drink.

I wonder what.a theakston Old Peculiar clone would be like with 100% Brett? Or Old Tom?

I don't think I'd recommend a 100% brett C old ale. The body may end up very thin, so I would pick a nice, estery english strain to primary with. Rack to secondary and pitch some brett c.

Use your big starter to make a 100% brett IPA with loads of c hops, ready in about a month, then dose an old ale with the dregs of one of the bottles. Best of both worlds!

What about with classic English or European hops? E.g. East Kent Golding's? Or Bramling.cross perhaps? I grew up on East Kent, and a friend of mine still lives only a few.miles away from bramling house.

Or celeia or styrian goldings? I guess that would be more a pale ale grain and hop bill than big IPA

because everyone loves a picture.

look at the krausen fighting the stir plate... this was on about day two of the last step up to two litres. flask is a 5 litre. which is about a gallon for those stuck on imperial units...:)

IMG_20160518_195609268_zpsfhjqavxo.jpg

English IPA with all EKG and Brett C would be pretty awesome...

hmmm. how much EKG? I have 500g of pellets vacuum packed in the freezer. that's what ?? a pound imperial?

that should be enough for 20l (4.5 gallons ish)

Back