Target Temperature for Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
What is the best temperature for Ale fermenting?

I am running a little experiment this week. I have my new Ale Pail, full of water, sitting in a "cube" cooler. The cooler is little over half full of water. I put a frozen water filled 2 liter coke bottle in the cooler water.

I have a thermometer in the pail. This morning, the temp was 75. I put the coke bottle in, and will check it a couple of times during the day.

I think I need to aim for less than 70 if possible, right?

My basement is between 68-75 F that works for me. For most beers I'd say stay under 75 F with a temp of 68 F being your target. Happy brewing!!!!

I'm of the opinion that cooler is better at the beginning of the ferment and not as important after 3 or 4 days. I'm keeping my current pale ale (US 05) at 64F for at least a week and then I'll let it climb to 68 to finish out. At that temperature I would be surprised if its done fermenting before 2 weeks.

Depends on the yeast. Most ales are between 65-74 and 70F about average. I try to keep my primary around 66-68F.

OP, I'm interested to know how your water temperature (in the cooler) relates to the temp inside your Ale Pail. I assume it will be close.

If this is the case, no need to open your bucket a couple of times a day to check the temp....just check the temp of the water.

OP, I'm interested to know how your water temperature (in the cooler) relates to the temp inside your Ale Pail. I assume it will be close.

If this is the case, no need to open your bucket a couple of times a day to check the temp....just check the temp of the water.

I will check that, too. Good call.

First day:

This morning, temp in cooler and bucket was 75. Added one frozen 2 liter bottle.

At 1:00PM, temp in cooler and bucket was 65. Room temp was about 78.

At 5:30PM, temp in cooler and bucket was 67, bottle was fully thawed. Room temp was about 75.

Now I am letting both cooler water and bucket water warm back up to room temperature.

Tomorrow, I am going to add two frozen 2 liter bottles and see what the results are.

I have read alot about the starting temperature for ales being less important than having a consistent temperature. I am no pro by any means. But from what I have read you should just let it ferment at a consistant temperature between 65-and 75 degrees.

Again, that depends on the yeast. Nottingham yeast has a huge temperature range, from like 57 degrees to 72 degrees. Anywhere in there is pretty safe, but fermenting at around 60-62 gives a nice clean taste. Other yeast have much narrower ranges, and should be fermented in the preferred temperature for that yeast strain. I almost always ferment at 62-66 degrees for ales and 50 degrees for lagers, unless there is a reason (Belgians, for example) the yeast wants a different temperature.

First day:

This morning, temp in cooler and bucket was 75. Added one frozen 2 liter bottle.

At 1:00PM, temp in cooler and bucket was 65. Room temp was about 78.

At 5:30PM, temp in cooler and bucket was 67, bottle was fully thawed. Room temp was about 75.

Now I am letting both cooler water and bucket water warm back up to room temperature.

Tomorrow, I am going to add two frozen 2 liter bottles and see what the results are.

So now you know that the water temp = the beer temp, so no need to keep opening the bucket.

I do the same thing with water and frozen bottles. I keep the temp pretty consistent @ 65 by putting in a 1L frozen bottle three times a day. Keep playing around with it and you will find what works for you.

The important thing to remember is don't open the bucket too much. Your yeasties like their privacy. :mug:

What is the best temperature for Ale fermenting?

I am running a little experiment this week. I have my new Ale Pail, full of water, sitting in a "cube" cooler. The cooler is little over half full of water. I put a frozen water filled 2 liter coke bottle in the cooler water.

I have a thermometer in the pail. This morning, the temp was 75. I put the coke bottle in, and will check it a couple of times during the day.

I think I need to aim for less than 70 if possible, right?

Note, however, that fermentation generates heat. When you have actual wort and yeast in your fermenter, it will be 5-8° above the temperature of the water bath. You'll need to add frozen water bottles to bring the water bath about 5° below your target fermentation temperature. The target for ales is usually 66-68°. I usually just check the stick-on thermometer and add or subtract water bottles as necessary. The nice thing about the water bath is that it prevents big temperature swings, even if the ambient temperature changes rapidly.

Chad

According to my son, right now (1:00PM), the temp in the bucket and cooler is 64 degrees. That is with two frozen bottles.

Yeah, I was expecting the fermentation to raise the temp a bit.

I think the cooler will take care of my first few batches of ale, and (with some changes like a custom foam lid) maybe a lager this winter.

Eventually I plan on some more sophisticated cooling gadgets.

I've used this setup for two batches now and its extremely efficient. I can ferment around 62-63 and only add frozen bottles every 3 or 4 days.

IMG_1052.JPG

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-fermentation-chiller-81501/

I've used this setup for two batches now and its extremely efficient. I can ferment around 62-63 and only add frozen bottles every 3 or 4 days.

IMG_1052.JPG

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-fermentation-chiller-81501/

I saw your set up, it is damn neat.

I'm thinking on a possible refinement. If I use a full sized refrigerator for my kegerator, the freezer compartment could take the place of your bottle filled cooler. May have to use anti-freeze in the lines, though.

Update:

As of 5:00PM, using two frozen 2 liter bottles, the temp in both the cooler and bucket is 60 degrees.

Room is cooler (it has been raining), but 60 is very good, as far as I'm concerned!

I modified lid for my cube coolers similar to this post:

Building an IceCube Fermentation Chiller - BrewBoard

I used foam insulation board from home depot and using the lid as a stencil, i cut out the hole for the lid on 3 of the 2ft x 2ft squares and the 4th sheet, i cut out a small hole for the airlock. Used spray adhesive to sandwich the sheets together for the lid. I put a frozen 2 liter bottle of water in with no water. It holds the temp inside to 64-68 degrees for about 36 hours

Back