Hop Addition Same Time You Pitch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f4an

Reaction score
I brewed a beer that I forgot the flame out hop addition. After I chilled my wort I remembered. I put them in there anyway and then added my yeast. After sampling the other day I swear I am getting so much more aroma than if I had added it at flame out (which I like).
Has anyone brewed using this method? And what are the pros/cons to brewing this way? I think this might be my new way of adding aroma hops.

Your basicly dry hopping. The only problem is the CO2 from fermenting will scrub out all the aroma. Thats why everyone dry hops after fermenting is done.

Generally it's preferred to wait until fermentation is finished, aka dry hopping.

During fermentation a lot of the more subtle & volatile oils are driven off by the CO2 created. Also, oils stick to yeast particles and drop out of solution.

But I agree - I don't do flameout additions anymore, more bang for the buck dry hopping IMO.

Imo flame out hops in large quantities & dry hopping add spunk to any brew. My best brews have large 0 min additions &/or dry hopping... it will be okay, although you're prob losing some good flVor due to being @ pitch temps already.

Back