Which online music service do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I successfully ditched Microsoft products...now I'm looking to replace iTunes with something better (DRM-less, preferably).

Which online music service(s) are you guys using? Why? What do you like best/worst about the ones you've tried?

My wife downloaded Limewire about a year ago. It's alright. I use to use WinMX...it was the $hit! But then they started charging for membership.

I think he means legit....... iTunes is supposed to be releasing DRM free music in the next few months, but we will see how well that works out.

Drunkensatyr said:
I think he means legit...
Yup! I want to pay for my music via a good, legit service.

I used Limewire for a while, but I didn't like it much. Using it for sharing music is illicit, and there is a lot of shared garbage - including things that no one should ever download on purpose...much less accidentally.

I hadn't heard that iTunes is stripping DRM from their music. That's exciting news!

well I currently use Pandora for an internet radio station. But thats going bye bye because of the damned RIAA.

Only other thing I have is iTunes.

.......well that and a certain torrent site

Chimone said:
well I currently use Pandora for an internet radio station. But thats going bye bye because of the damned RIAA.

The good news hit a few days ago.

Congress and SoundExchange have heard loud and clear the amazing outpouring of support for Internet radio from webcasters, listeners and the thousands of artists they support. A commitment has been made to negotiate reasonable royalties, recognizing the industry’s long-term value and its still-developing revenue potential.

During negotiations SoundExchange committed temporarily not to enforce the new royalty rates so webcasters can stay online as new rates are agreed upon.

This development is due in great part to the millions of people who have let their Congressional representatives know about their support of Internet radio. Over 125 representatives have cosponsored the bill to this point.

We urge listeners to continue calling their Senators and Representative to ask them to co-sponsor the Internet Radio Equality Act. Thank you.

Good news for Pandora! I like that service as well...but it's not the answer to my question.

Also, iTunes DRM free music isn't really the answer, either. They charge more for it ($1.29/track), and you can only download DRM free music from participating artists. Stupid Apple.

LOL... sorry it wasn't more helpful. I turned a 4,000 disc collection into mp3's, so I don't really buy internet songs. Don't listen to new music so, kinda not much point in it for me. If I hear anything though, I will gladly pass the info on.

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm in the same boat. I 've copied the majority of my CDs. So far 9600+ songs onto a portable HD.
I listen to a lot of music - mostly old, but there are some new artists that I kinda dig. The Plain White T's are a recent favorite. I have something like 40,000 songs on a 300 GB hard drive (over half full)...but it's never enough!

So...somebody please chime in with a music service preference...

Rhapsody?
Napster?
CDNow?
Buy.com?
etc?

i did Napster, and the idea and concept is great. 9 bucks a month for unlimited downloads. However, You need to have a compatible mp3 player with the Napster format. I ordered a Sony mp3 player and by the time it arrived I had d/l'ed about 1500 songs onyl to find out that the Napster format didnt work on the Sony mp3. I have an iPod now and Napster doesnt support that either. They support the microsoft Zune.

But I like the idea, 10 bucks for unlimited downloads. If I can find another site like that works with an Ipod, Ill join that site

iTunes started offering iTunes Plus a few weeks ago, which gives you DRM-Free & 256 kbps AAC encoding. There are no burn limits and each song costs $1.29 instead of .99.

Just go to iTunes Store and click on the link iTunes Plus. There is also a FAQ link.

I use emusic. No major label stuff, but if your into lesser known rock bands or jazz/classical/blues/old stuff than it is great. Most of the bands I tend to like are on smaller independent labels and I can find most of them on emusic. If you're looking for Bruce Springsteen or the Stones you'd be out of luck.

For me it's $19 for 90 downloads a month. They may have changed the rates since it started but mine has remained the same.

They do have a free trial that I used with first my, then my wife's credit card, it made me decide to remain a member.

Oh and they are mp3's.

Not sure if this is International but prince's new album has no copyright attached (or something like that)

It's available free in one of our Sunday papers.

This thread is testament to how F'd up the music middleman industry is.
I am also curious about non DRM music services that do not force a particular format or software.

Why is drag and drop such a hard thing?

Yuri_Rage said:
I have something like 40,000 songs....

Dang! I think I found my new music service... Yuri Radio!! you take payment in Homebrews??

I don't really use anything anymore... After copying all my cds into my computer I am pretty happy... All I use my mp3 player for is at the gym so I just loaded a bunch of songs on and don't change them... other than that it is regular radio or internet radio station..

SpamDog

Latest posts

Back