History on Tap, Homebrewing contest TV show on History Channel??? WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just flipped over to the history channel and this "game show" about homebrewing is on. 2 teams have 12 days to make a Pilgrim Beer?

How come we don't have 12 million threads on this. None of us have heard about this?

or "sterilize" even. ;)

calm down Revvy - everything will be okay. :D

(we have a bunch of people that just opened up Christmas presents - they'll need your help soon :mug:)

(we have a bunch of people that just opened up Christmas presents - they'll need your help soon :mug:)

I'm trying to avoid them...Actually I'll be offline and incommunicado from Wednesday til Sunday, so you guys will have to make do without me.

I'm going on a snowmobile adventure. It's an adventure because I've never been on one before.

I missed the beginning, but did they say why they only had 12 days to make this beer? Seems like everyone would be happier if they had a bit more time.

That Australian guy comes off as a massive tool.

Yup.

Interesting, my GF is in the bathroom doing her hair, and can hear it. She's bugged by his use of the werd "authenticity" as opposed to "Historical Accurracy"

Her agurment is "How can something be authentic if noone's tasted this supposed style before. As opposed to us talking online hear about traditional brewing styles and methods, and ingredients. Even we can be brewing something historically accurate, and yet it not be authentic, since no one knows what an authentic pilgrim beer tastes like.

It's interesting that we had this little discussion. She was totally not into Sam Caligione's show. But was paying more attention to this. And the comments I was making.

The host is annoying and the execution of the show is pretty lame, but the premise is pretty interesting.

I would like to have more on the actual "history" of the style and brewing. Maybe if it was done more as a leisurly paced hour show, with a better host (Hell even Sam Caligione) and not a 30 minute "game show."

But MAN, our hobby representing on tv? Awesome!

Here's some info I found about it from a post by almalkin on Beer Advocate:

"History on Tap" debuts on History Channel Dec. 26

Just wanted to get the word out about another beer-related TV show that will be airing this Sunday, Dec. 26 at 12:00 ET.

From the History Channel website:

Watch today's best home brewers battle to fill your glass with a beer that made history! Amateur brewers take part in a hopped-up, head-to head competition to create the best version of some of history's most unusual and extreme beers. Hosted by red-blooded chef and full-on beer enthusiast, Bloody Bill Annesley.

Some of this episode was filmed at the Harpoon Brewery in Boston.
Also for full disclosure, I (almalkin) am one of the brewers featured on the show.

Interesting. We caught it completely by accident. One of the guys who won is apparently opening his own brewery.

A google search turns up this facebook event - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=141413379246422
The guy who created it was one of the winners - http://www.facebook.com/stephen.x.sanderson
Who is apparently opening a brewpub (or, at least, trying to) - http://www.facebook.com/riverwalkbrewing and http://snobbybeergirl.blogspot.com/2010/04/starting-our-own-brewery-riverwalk.html

Interesting.

Caught it on accident also. I tried to record a future airing but there were none. Revvy like you said why did we not know about this.

The guy is from the UK. He is not an Aussie, but I can see where you might think so, as he is so over the top. He seems to want to create a persona for TV. look here - http://www.chefbloodybill.com/tv/Home.html

I agree my biggest negative impression is that I found the host annoying and amateurish. His version of generating excitement was shouting, throwing his hands out, and trying to use colorful UK slang ( I guess). I began to have a feeling when he came on, that I was stuck I on a bad cruise and the excursion director would not leave my cabin. He was just trying too hard. I also got the impression he did not know a thing about brewing which did not help balance his unpolished TV skills.

It was also fairly uninformative, given that they showed home brewers brewing, I expected a bit more....and some of the information was just off ...such as ......they flashed up the factoid that hops are "Flowers from Hemp Plants."

It was nice that it was local and I did recognize the Beer and Wine n Woburn and I think Modern Brewing home brew in Cambridge, and of course Harpoon .... I am hoping the host is not a constant fixture and the format becomes a little more about brewing....

My dvr and history channel website cannot find another showing. Has anyone seen when the next episode airs?

Nope...this is a ghost show...I'm beginning to wonder if it all wasn't an eggnog induced dream.

I went 5 pages into google, and found very nothing about the show that wasn't already mentioned.

I was one of the brewers on the show, so just wanted to say thanks to everyone for checking it out. The original version of the show was an hour long, but it was cut down to a half hour for broadcast. The Harpoon version of the winning beer should be available at the breweries in Boston and Vermont.

The show was so bad, I'm not sure I'd watch it again, even if I did find the next episode. Bloody Bill was just that bloody awful.

The show would have been much better as an hour long show, with more background on the brewers and their brewing process, and much less of Bloody Bill.

The show was so bad, I'm not sure I'd watch it again, even if I did find the next episode. Bloody Bill was just that bloody awful.

I'll still watch it, I mean boycotting a show about homebrewing, really? It's not like there's a plethora of shows about it. I'm going to support it, hope it becomes successful enough to warrant other stations doing hopefully better shows about our hobby. Even if I have to turn the sound down, or make a drinking game out of everytime the host makes a glaring mistake. I wouldn't dream of not watching it, if anything just to see fellow homebrewers on tv.

Would like to check this out, if anybody ever finds the episode, or notices it back on.

......they flashed up the factoid that hops are "Flowers from Hemp Plants."

Uh oh.... we have exactly 137 days until the DEA begins raiding home brew shops, or as they will call them "fronts for a massive underground marijuana smuggling ring" Best stock up people.

Back