Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCBrewGuy

Reaction score
Anyone seen these oak barrels on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R97F0Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Seems like a good small scale solution for barrel aging... offered in 5,10, and 20 L sizes. Curious if anyone has used them. I'd love to try my hand at some oak aged beers. Plus these are easier on the eyes than a carboy so the wife might not complain so much...

Last edited by a moderator:
the only thing you have to be careful with on a small oak barrel is surface area. A small barrel will contribute oak flavors MUCH faster than a big barrel, so you have to be careful with that. Keeping them clean is also an issue, but if you're willing to go through all the proper steps, it should be fine.

That, and making sure they are stored properly in this guys warehouse. Humidity is a big issue with barrels, and if they aren't stored properly the wood can dry out. But I'm not sure how much impact that would have on small guys like these barrels. Just a warning ...

Back