Just inherited a 5 gal carboy with beer in it what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmilton1987

Reaction score
I know the first thing anyone is going to say is bottle/keg it but here is the back story. I helped a friend brew a scotch ale and she never bottled it and now is moving to a smaller place so she gave me her brew stuff for now. It was brewed on 03-Jan-2009 it had 2# DME and 6# LME 1oz Williamette at 60min and 1oz williamette at 30min than added Wyeast 1028 yeast and has been sitting in a carboy ever since with an airlock on it. It also had specialty grains but those are not listed on the brew log copy I have. It looks fine but do I risk drinking a contam/autoalysis(sp?) beer? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.

edit: I forgot to mention we both live in milwaukee so we have had pretty temperate time for the ale to settle if that makes a difference.

Yup, bottle it. Or if you're still concerned that its a waste, sample some first.

Anybody know if his yeast will still be up for bottle carbing at this point?

Does it smell okay? Autolysis is pretty easy to detect.

Yeah but for the most part autolysys isn't really an issue for us...many leave our beers for a month...and a couple people have left beer on the yeast for 6 months with no issues....

so if it doesn't smell like poopy diapers you should be ok..

I would consider adding a bit more yeast at botttling time, since the yeast are pretty tired...this will also have a benefit of if there are any other off flavors, the yeasts may help clean it up....

any yeast ok? b/c i don't rally want to go to the lhbs just to get some yeast? and how much do you recommend? I have some dry bread yeast if worst comes to worst for bottling day tomorrow. And yeah it will be 6 months on Wednesday if I were to wait.

any yeast ok? b/c i don't rally want to go to the lhbs just to get some yeast? and how much do you recommend? I have some dry bread yeast if worst comes to worst for bottling day tomorrow. And yeah it will be 6 months on Wednesday if I were to wait.

I wouldn't use bread yeast...but any neutral ale yeast would do, or in a pinch champagne yeast.

I've never done it before, but I did some googling...and on another site it recomended only 1/4-1/2 tsp for a 5 gallon batch.

Don't use bread yeast! That is less attenuative than ale yeast, and wouldn't get you any benefit at all- just potentially some yeasty flavors. I'd use 1/4 to 1/2 package of some dry nottingham yeast, added to the priming solution after it's cooled. Stir it well, and pour it into the bottling bucket then rack the beer into it.

I know you don't want to make a special trip just for yeast, but you're gaining a whole carboy of beer just for the prize of a package of yeast!

I always keep extra dry yeast in the fridge, so while you're there, pick up three packages for later on.

I just kegged a beer that had been in the primary for nine months. No autolysis, but it tastes a bit of stale bread.

ok then it is decided I will go for a long bike ride to the lhbs. I guess you are right i did gain 48 unlabeled bottles a mash paddle a bottling bucket/primary and assorted others for a good bike ride and like $3 for a few packs of yeast

Back