What volume boil for a 1 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppers16

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm planning on trying out experimental 1 gal batches (from extract if it makes a difference).
Should I do a 3 litre boil and top up in the same proportions as a 5gal batch?
Presumably boiling the full gallon messes up the amount of bittering/taste you get from the hops in a recipe?
Sorry to be a newb.

It's not the volume per se that affects the hop utilization, but for a given recipe a higher volume will mean a lower boil gravity, and lower boil gravity does increase hop utilization. I personally would boil 1.25 gal so that I can save a buck or two on hops and by the time you're done boiling you should be at one gallon once the wort cools down.

If you start with 1.75 gallons you usually boil down to 1.25-1.5 gallons. After fermentation that'll leave you about 12 pack. Plus by doing it this way you can take your typical homebrew recipe and cut everything by about 25%. For example in a 6 gallon batch (6 gallons post-boil and 5 gallons finished beer) if you used 28 grams or 1 oz of hops at 60 min then you would use 7 grams. Or if you would usually have 1 pound of crystal malt you would use 0.25 of the same malt. We have some recipes and fermentors that might help your experimentation quest. Check us out here: www.smallbatchhomebrew.com

Back