What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build a wort chiller for 25 bucks......7/16 clear tubing...3/8 copper coil wth clamps and brass attachments for hose and faucet.......cooled my October fest ( that i plan to dry hop soon) hence Hoptoberfest from 200 + to 80 degrees in 20 min.......no ice bath BS. Also checked my mead and tasted my Imperial nut brown that was bottled 8 days ago.......I love my hobby!

Kicked the keg of coffee porter to make room for the second batch of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde for the summer.

Exchanged a dozen 500ml bottles for 1L bottles at my LHBS. They didn't have 750ml yesterday so bought the 500s. Then when I got them home I realize how small 16oz is. I dry hopped my first AG Homebrew on Saturday and getting ready to bottle this weekend.

Bottling my batch of Belgian Tripel, then packed up and got all my cases I've been stocking up from my several batches this summer ready to move back to school. Guess who's ready for football season. :rockin:

Today I relaxed, didn't worry, and had a homebrew. Then another, then two guest brews, then another homebrew. Now, at 3 pm, I can call it a day. I work 3rd shift, so now is my bed time. I raise my glass to those at work now, hope you do one for me at 1120 eastern time.

Today I stalked my UPS shipment from Northern Brewer (it'll arrive tomorrow).
Made a list of necessary items for my next brew inventory expansion.
I am currently gathering bottles for cleaning and having a late night bottling session.

Bought 2 hydrometers so if I break one again atleast I have a backup

Also bought my first experimental ingredients to make a random beer

Enjoying my latest: Hop Damnber! Dry Hopped big bad amber. Pretty delish. Stoked to finally sit on my @ss and watch some SharkWeek. dang those fish are huge! Props to all my brewin' brothers & sisters working hard to hurry up & chill! Salt of the earth, you guys! BrewOn :]

Delabeled about a dozen 22 oz bombers and about a case or so of 12 oz bottles.

Made a milling bucket for my corona mill.

Stirred the piss out of my 1056 starter, since when I smacked it yesterday the pouch broke and about 1/3 of the contents sprayed onto my 4 year old who was trying to help smack it.

Am in the midst of finishing the last pint from yesterday's kicked keg of coffee porter. RIP.

Received my spare pin lock posts from zeekage, accepted my little brother's 1oz packet of french strisselspalt hops that he can't take with him when he moves clear across the country.

Drank 64 ounces of imperial nut brown ale wth my best friends and they loved it!!!!!!! And then enjoyed 3 more half glass 2x stout southern tiers that are unbelievably awesome.......post blake shelton concert!!!!!! Can i get the southern tier 2 x clone?????? I would add a roasted vanilla bean..........does someone have imput?????

I'm about to leave on an eight hour drive to a wedding where I will be pouring seven homebrews. Excited.

Picked up new vinyl tubing, an auto siphon, the new special issue of BYO, and a bench capper (tired of capping by hand).

Today I looked at my beer fermenting! It was exciting to me based on the fact that it's my 3rd batch ever and 1st batch in a carboy. Fun to watch! My wife thinks I'm funny cuz I stared at it for a while. Ha!

Just bought tickets to Louisiana Beer and Wine Experience in Alexandria, La. I submitted 3 beers for the competition there. I'll find out how I did tomorrow. It's my first comp so wish me luck!

Currently cleaning kegs so I can xfer some Hefe into them.
Shipping off keg stems for rebuild.
Cleaning fermenting vessel.

This morning: Collected my ingredients for the Guinness clone along with my BIAB bag, thermometer and some no rinse sanitiser :D

This afternoon: Drank some HB, damn that VERY FIRST extract batch came out good. So good that a friend who's beer opinion I value was impressed. This of course made my day.:rockin:

This evening weighed out grains for tomorrows VERY FIRST BIAB. :ban:

Kegged my nut brown ale. Porter is boiling away in the BK. Now preparing the spent grain pizza dough for dinner.

Today I thawed and mashed my cherries. I added some pectic enzyme to them.

I went to the LHBS and purchased supplies for a black IPA. And I am going to experiment with using low alpha hops in larger quantities for bittering.

Today I thawed and mashed my cherries. I added some pectic enzyme to them.

I went to the LHBS and purchased supplies for a black IPA. And I am going to experiment with using low alpha hops in larger quantities for bittering.

I've done that with saaz hops and thought it turned out well. I mean it shouldn't matter what hop you use for bittering, but, good luck anyway.

Today I finished wiring up a 120 and a 220 circuit on the new pad. 120 is to run the A/C for the ferm chamber, 220 is to support the electric brew system.
Once the wiring was finished I started putting together the ferm chamber. About 2'X4' and 4' tall. Part will be a lager chamber, and part will be sectioned off to be a ferm chamber.

Swirled the Bells house yeast I am harvesting a bunch of times (from a 6'er of Oberon)

Ordered the Ebay temp controller in advance of my first real HBDYI project :D

Came home from working all night, stopped by my IPA in the fermenter, lifted the lid, took a bit wiff of the 2oz of falconers flight and 2oz of simcoe that I dry hopped it with last week. I can't wait to go camping next week, it was made for the trip.

Bottled a southern English brown yesterday, wit and dubbel today. Harvested the wit yeast. Scrubbed, washed and organized ALL of the brew ware. Crushing and building a starter for a hefeweizen tomorrow. Read Plato's "Republic" and leapt a tall building.

Weighed and vacuum packaged 5 lbs of different varieties of hops down to 1 oz packages.
1 lb each of
Willamette
Cascade
Columbus
Glacier
Cluster

ForumRunner_20120818_144925.jpg

I transferred my saison to the secondary and added 1.5 oz of hops in 2 bags. OG 1.050, FG 1.008 after 3 weeks. I'll keep it there for a week with the hops, then I'm going to pull them out (if I can, it was a tight fit) and cold crash it for a week, then keg and keep cold for another 2. The samples have been good and I'll see how the dry hopping works out.

I opened my firstbbottle of vanilla bourbon stout bottled one week ago. It turned out great. It's going into permanent brewing rotation.

Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it.

**Bumpin but great quote as I have just done the same!!!

I looked at a bottle of pomegranate molasses in a grocery store for several minutes thinking about how I wanted to make beer with it, but I can't fit it into my near term pipeline, so I didn't buy it. Instead, I purchased a smoked mini ham for making sammiches that I will consume with beer.

Just pulled my Dubbel and Blonde up on the counter to settle before bottling the first and racking the second on top of strawberries later this evening.

Got 3 pints closer to something new on tap. Reminded SWMBO that I have been amassing my homebrewing budget for a big purchase. Thinking of going all Sankey, when I can get sixtels for $22. Maybe a chest freezer ferm chamber in my future.

Back