signs of good fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
what are some signs that my fisrt batch of beer is doing just fine, its been fermenting for 4 days now. what should i be looking for..

also my kit came with a clear plastic bucket, is that bad? it always kept in a dark place

as long as you kept the bucket in a dark place your fine. many of us ferment in a clear glass carboy or better bottle.

well if there is foam on the top of the beer your good. if the solid stuff floating on top is a nice brown/tan color your good. if your SG is lower than your OG your good. (if it stops falling then your done fermenting). i suggest you leave your brew alone for another 17 days. then bottle.

I have never heard of a clear plastic bucket. Bet that looks cool.

As long as you followed all the basic rules of homebrewing (cooled wort to ~ 70 degrees, aerated, kept temps around 65-70, etc.) you should be fine. Don't realy on airlock activity like many folks unfortunately do. Leave it be for 3 weeks and check the FG. Should be 1.010 or so and you are ready to rack to your bottling bucket/keg!

Back