Slant media rises under pressure???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpavlik22

Reaction score
Ok so I followed the wiki on here to make slants. They have worked awesome so far. One problem tho, I usually make up 6 slants of each strain due to the fact that every time I culture up the slants at least one slant will build pressure under the media and actually push it up out of the slant. I keep the lids cracked on the slants. Also this is during the incubation stage of the slant.

What am I doing wrong?

Did you read the actual post indicated? Post #151?

The problem is that moisture (condensation) has found its way between the agar and the glass, and the yeast starts to grow there, pushing the agar up and away.
The solution I have found is to make sure that your slant slants enough to leave part of the bottom of the vial uncovered. This ensures, even if you have some residual moisture, that co2 can escape without disturbing the agar.

Thanks. I didn't see that. For whatever reason it took me to the very first post of the thread.

Back