CO2 explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
Late last night, a full CO2 canister began leaking. All the gas escaped within about 20 seconds, which made for quite a spectacle. I did nothing out of the ordinary to provoke this -- after buying it, i set it in the corner in my kitchen, where it remained until the incident.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anyone have an explanation?

The only time I saw it happen, the tank had been overfilled (there has to be some space that is just gas) and when it started warming up, the relief opened. Most of the reliefs do not reset and it is amazing to hear and watch.

Yup, sounds like the safety disc ruptured and rapidly emptied the tank.

co2bdsk.jpg

Yep, had one go myself. Just had it filled and stopped at my uncles house. We were sitting in the kitchen, bsing, all of a sudden a loud CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!. We looked out the window to see a huge white cloud floating out of the back of my pickup truck!

Along a similar line: I had just (legally) bought my first keg with the intention of doing a keggle conversion. Long story short, about 4 neighbors come asking what happened. Genius at the brewery gave me a semi-charged keg.

Along a similar line: I had just (legally) bought my first keg with the intention of doing a keggle conversion. Long story short, about 4 neighbors come asking what happened. Genius at the brewery gave me a semi-charged keg.

lol atleast you were outside when you did it. i depressed the ball in my kitchen.:drunk:

Back