Can you guys recommend a good, accurate thermometer to me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 thermapen lover here. Got it for cooking a couple years ago as a gift and can't understand why I never had one before. It's now invaluable to me on brew day. Yep it's expensive but IMO worth it. I use for brewing and cooking. For steaks it is killer I always know just when to pull them at 125 for medium rare.

It's one of those things like really nice sunglasses. Once you spoil yourself with a pair it's really hard to go back to anything else. If my thermapen ever dies ill be buying another the next day.

/:off:
I'm going to try out that 125 tip, that's exactly how I like my steaks!
/end :off:

Thermapen is the BEST thermometer you can get in terms of accurate, fast readings.

It is not the most convenient for continually readings though. I use this if I want to watch the temp, vs spot check it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VXZVNG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also if you want to cook steaks properly you should cook them sous vide, you can use your mash tun to do it if you don't want to buy a machine for it.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/...er-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll also vouch for the CDN DTQ450X. I acquired mine from Amazon for $11.50 two years ago and have been very happy with it. I've not observed any inaccuracies but agree that as long as it's consistent, adjustments get built into your process anyway.

That's pretty cool, I had never heard of that. I have a FoodSaver and the bags already, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

If you've eaten steak at a high end restaurant recently you've had it cooked sous vide. You will be surprised at how tender and juicy they come out.

If you've eaten steak at a high end restaurant recently you've had it cooked sous vide. You will be surprised at how tender and juicy they come out.

I've been tempted to try this out, but on a lot of my meats, I prefer a good grilled/charred outside. Seems that the complete lack of that would throw it off

I really like this one from OXO. A little expensive, but really useful. You may see some negative reviews because you can not purchase a replacement probe. Don't worry about that. I had one go bad after 2.5 years. Contacted customer service by email asking how to get a replacement. They sent me one for free even though I made it clear I had purchased it over two years ago. You can get it on Amazon or Bed Bath & Beyond.

ForumRunner_20130915_173604.png

My turkey burner came with a clip on thermometer that is about 6-8 inches long. Are these reliable? I haven't used it yet plan to brew my first turkey burner batch next week.

I did not have a good experience with my OXO. It started giving me crazy readings after a few months . Messed up a couple of batches of beer because of it. I still use the timer on it though. It was expensive also, but then again Williams-Sonoma is overpriced on everything.

My turkey burner came with a clip on thermometer that is about 6-8 inches long. Are these reliable? I haven't used it yet plan to brew my first turkey burner batch next week.

I've had 2 of them. I used them both at the same time as a check. One day the glue/weld broke on one of them and it would free spin. The other one I still have and it is accurate within ~5 degrees. It's best to check it against a known good calibrated thermometer if you can. I just recently got a Thermapen and I wish I would have bought one to begin with. Thing is friggin amazing.

I bought this one recently and it works great.
http://www.kitchenwindow.com/browse.cfm/digital-candy-deep-fry-thermometer/4,2842.html

Clips firmly to the side of the kettle, reasonably long so it can reach the wort even as it boils down, seems accurate (though I have nothing more accurate to test it against), seems durable. I've brewed my last few batches with it and it works perfectly. The only changes I'd make is for it to have a longer measuring stem so I could get a deeper reading and so the thermometer part won't warm up so much from the heat of the burner.

Back