Skunk-proof beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Nick

Reaction score
What do you all think of this?

There is a way to skunk-proof beer, and it is used by the Miller Brewing Company. Instead of using hop flowers to bitter their beers, they use a special hop extract called tetra-hop. The isomerized alpha-acids in this product have a slightly different molecular structure than naturally isomerized alpha-acids, and are immune to the effects of light. This extract has the added benefit of greatly increasing the foam retention of a beer.

http://www.evansale.com/skunked_beer.html

And what about this one...

http://home.wanadoo.nl/jnaikema/tetrahop.htm

I guess it'd be worth looking into, that is is someone stores their carboy or bottles in sunlight.

If you can't get hop aroma, I bet most people aren't going to be happy.

Not something I would use. Bittering with hops gives you 6-12 different chemicals, each with a unique bittering profile. Tetra is useful if you don't expect the beer to be handled well.

I skunk-proof my beer in cornies.

z987k said:
If you can't get hop aroma, I bet most people aren't going to be happy.
Seeing as I do not aspire to brew to please anyone other than myself. That is not an issue... for me... I am purposely going to purchase a Miller beer to find out what it tastes like.

I have a sweet tooth...and as such I am not really excited about making my beer taste bitter. At some point I am probably going to brew a batch without hops just to see what I get. It would sure be nice not to have to worry about light.

I am not sure just how beneficial the chemicals that hops provide are (to my body) anyway?

Hops are good for you. The various hp extracts are used by macro breweries for a few reasons, typically finacial/ product consistency reasons with the no- skunking as an added bonus. My understanding is that they are not very practical on the homebrew scale.

Back