Smack pack starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

Reaction score
So I've not brewed in a while and I'm doing the Midwest Octane IPA (OG 1.064-1.068). Today I picked up a wyeast smack pack of the British Ale 1098. Unfortunately, its production date was July 20 and Mr. Malty is telling me that's about 47% viability and I'm gonna need to make a starter.

When you make a starter using the wyeast packs, do you still break open that inner nutrient pack before adding the yeast to the starter or will that throw off the measurements for the starter? Any recommendations as to how I should do this?

Yep - just smack em and toss in your starter. No need to overthink this. The tiny volume of the nutrient pack isn't going to impact anything.

I am not a stickler for proper yeast count, my goal is to get it in the range. With that said, I do make starters and try and hit the general number proposed by many calculators. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

I always pop it. First off, it allows you to be sure that the yeast inside are still alive and ready to work. Second off, its so satisfying to smack that little thing. The worst thing is having a little extra yeast ready and willing.

Good points. I figured I was over thinking it. It looks like I'll have to 2 stage it with a 1.5L starter followed by a 1L starter (Since I don't have a stirplate, I'll be doing intermittent shaking). Does that sound about right?

Back