Stone Week Minnesota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewinator

Reaction score
So Stone is finally making its way to Minnesota and they have a week of events planned. Tomorrow evening they are taking over all 32 taps at Stub and Herbs which is conveniently 2 blocks from my office/lab. Out of this list they are having there, are there any that you would say are a must try since I obviously can't try all 32.

Arrogant Bastard Ale
OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale
Stone IPA
Stone Pale Ale
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Levitation Ale
Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
Double Dry Hopped Stone IPA
Double Dry Hopped Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
Stone Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Beans
Stone Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers
Double Bastard Ale w/ Chipotle Peppers
Stone Smoked Porter aged in Bourbon Barrels
2008 Stone Imperial Russian Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels
Arrogant Bastard Ale aged in Bourbon Barrels
2007 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2009 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2010 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2011 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2011 Stone Old Guardian BELGO Barley Wine
2010 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA
2010 Double Bastard Ale
Green Flash/ Pizza Port Carlsbad/ Stone Highway 78 Scotch Ale

After reading plenty about Stone, I'm looking forward to finally being able to try some of their beers.

TheBrewinator said:
So Stone is finally making its way to Minnesota and they have a week of events planned. Tomorrow evening they are taking over all 32 taps at Stub and Herbs which is conveniently 2 blocks from my office/lab. Out of this list they are having there, are there any that you would say are a must try since I obviously can't try all 32.

Arrogant Bastard Ale
Stone IPA
Stone Pale Ale
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Levitation Ale
Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
2010 Double Bastard Ale

After reading plenty about Stone, I'm looking forward to finally being able to try some of their beers.

That's awesome...I've had most of those (I frequent Stone often) and have my favorites but it all depends on what you like...are you wanting hoppier or maltier, something clean and simple or big and complex, or do you want to try what they're known for?

If they do them, tasters could be a way to go.

Would be interested in hearing your preferred styles before I steer you in a direction.

Cheers!

I prefer the hoppier side of things but there isn't a style of beer I'm not willing to try. I think I'm going to steer clear of their regulars tomorrow because I'll be able to pick them up at the store whenever. So I guess I'm looking more for suggestions on the ones they don't regularly put out.

TheBrewinator said:

Arrogant Bastard Ale
Stone IPA
Stone Pale Ale
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Levitation Ale
Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
2010 Double Bastard Ale

Awesome.

It's rare to see all those vintages of their Barleywine. Would be interesting to do a vertical tasting of them (youngest to oldest)...I'd opt for the 3oz tasters or you won't stay vertical for long!

Also, I love:

2008 imperial Russian stout in bourbon barrels
Double Bastard
14th Anniversary Emperial IPA
Sublimely Self-Righteous (India Black Ale)

Finally, if you've never had a Belgian IPA, their Cali-Belgique is worth trying....though my favorite Belgian IPA is Green Flash's La Freak.

Enjoy!

i haven't tried it yet but have heard great things about the Hwy 78 Scotch ale colab - i don't know if thats being bottled

i'd try the double dry hopped IPAs as well

i don't think they bottle the chipotle or vanilla or the bourbon aged beers either

Wow- I wish I could be there! I like Stubb & Herb's. I bumped into Omar Ansari there one day, having some beers. (I WAS drinking Surly by the way....)

We rarely get to Minnesota these days, but I'm glad to see that Stone is going to be distributed there. GREAT tap list, that's for sure! :ban:

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale, dark and hoppy. We can get it in bombers here all time, but I grab it on tap when ever I can. The Emperial IPA is good, Id try it since Ive never had it on tap. The Imperial Russian Stout and the IPA are also must haves.

I would Drink them in this order
and then end with
Stone Ruination IPA

You won't taste much after the ruination, but it's really good if your're a hop head.

I can't wait for tomorrow night!!!! I need to find a driver now. Wednesday is going to be a long day....but wait round two at the Happy Gnome Wednesday night with similar line up.

Arrogant Bastard Ale
Stone IPA
Stone Pale Ale
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Levitation Ale
Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla Beans
Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers
Double Bastard w/ Chipotle Peppers
2008 Imperial Russian Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels
2010 Double Bastard Ale
Stone casks to be announced!

Oh BTW....
Alaskan Brewing is coming May 1st.
I'm wondering if Dog Fish will follow soon as well. I'm not buying the "can't keep up with production" bit. They just got new fermenters in last week too.

Just found the price and availability list, they have a flight of the 07, 09, 10, and 11 barley wines, 5.5 oz pours for 12 bucks. I definitely think I will be trying that. I might have to get my wife to pick me up, something tells me I won't be able to drive home tonight.

TheBrewinator said:
Just found the price and availability list, they have a flight of the 07, 09, 10, and 11 barley wines, 5.5 oz pours for 12 bucks. I definitely think I will be trying that. I might have to get my wife to pick me up, something tells me I won't be able to drive home tonight.

So epic! I'll trade the beach weather to be there!

The barley wine flight was outstanding, the 2008 RIS aged in bourbon barrels was phenomenal, Id say that is in the top 3 beers I've ever had.

My best moment of the night however was on the first beer I had. I started out with the double dry hopped self-righteous, after my first sip I thought, this tastes exactly like the black DIPA I recently made. I haven't been brewing long and there is plenty I don't know but that certainly made my day.

Cheers to anyone else who was there trying beers and thank you for those who gave advice on what to try.

The barley wine flight was outstanding, the 2008 RIS aged in bourbon barrels was phenomenal, Id say that is in the top 3 beers I've ever had.

My best moment of the night however was on the first beer I had. I started out with the double dry hopped self-righteous, after my first sip I thought, this tastes exactly like the black DIPA I recently made. I haven't been brewing long and there is plenty I don't know but that certainly made my day.

Cheers to anyone else who was there trying beers and thank you for those who gave advice on what to try.

I too was there Tuesday night. Started with the Barleywine flight. AMAZING!!! Moved on to the Porter flight. I was surprised that I like the vanilla bean smoked porter. finished off the night with the RIS and the Double Dry Hopped Self-Righteous Ale.....Man was that amazing!!!! I wanted to stay for more but cut myself off. I'm glad I did....I slept through my one year old crying...lol SWMBO had to get up cuz I wouldn't wake up.

Back