Perry recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Folks, I've been looking for a Perry recipe due to the 6 gallons of waiting-to-be-fermented pear juice in my basement. Perry is fermented pear juice, not pear wine. Does anyone have a recipe that they have used and would be willing to share?

Many thanks.

Thanks BK. Looks good to me. I am not sure how to translate this into a "from Juice" recipe, as opposed to a "from fruit" recipe.

There was a recipe in the Terry Garey winemaking book - my library has lost it in the 3 days since I returned it - no longer in the system. Should have copied that page.

I just didn't trust some of the recipes that google turned up. If only Jack Keller had a recipe.

I'm still a bit of a noob, but I think you would want to judge with your hydrometer to match the recipe. Dilute until your OG matches the recipe. Would that be right, BK?

Thanks BK. Looks good to me. I am not sure how to translate this into a "from Juice" recipe, as opposed to a "from fruit" recipe.

There was a recipe in the Terry Garey winemaking book - my library has lost it in the 3 days since I returned it - no longer in the system. Should have copied that page.

I just didn't trust some of the recipes that google turned up. If only Jack Keller had a recipe.

I'll look in that book when I get home and see what she has to say about it. I remember it being very simple....and was what inspired me to make mine.
To convert to a juice recipe...just take a gravity reading on your juice, and start adding honey till you hit that magic 1.060 (YOU COULD be pretty close with juice) then add the vanilla and yeast.

Thanks for the idea guys! That sounds easy.

IIRC the Terry Garey recipe was like 0.5 lbs sugar per gallon, some acid and tannin I believe? Really easy.

I just made 5 gallons of perry from a recipe i got out of a book. If you havnt started it I can give you that recipe if you want. Otherwise youll have to wait a month or two and find out how it is coming along :p

Right you are...but again...it's for fruit.
3.5 Qt water
1# Sugar
4# Ripe Pears
2tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/4 tsp Tannin
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Champagne Yeast.

Page 116 The Joy of homemade wine. Terry Garey

Right you are...but again...it's for fruit.
3.5 Qt water
1# Sugar
4# Ripe Pears
2tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/4 tsp Tannin
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Champagne Yeast.

Page 116 The Joy of homemade wine. Terry Garey

Thanks a million BK!!!! Much appreciated. I'll use your suggested method to adjust for juice. It's the acid and tannin I was worried about after reading about perry.

4.5 lbs Ripe Pears ( peeled, cored, and sliced .. have to find a juice equivelant)
1 lb Sugar
1 lb Honey
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
yeast

boil honey and half gallon water.
skim foam from mixture.
put sugar and pear in bucket
pour honeywater over mixture.
add water (recipe yeilds 1 gal)

(i would use 1/2 gallon of juice, and 1/2 gallon of water with honey, then add sugar and etc.. per gallon of finished result. and just top off with pear juice when you rack )

4.5 lbs Ripe Pears ( peeled, cored, and sliced .. have to find a juice equivelant)
1 lb Sugar
1 lb Honey
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
yeast

boil honey and half gallon water.
skim foam from mixture.
put sugar and pear in bucket
pour honeywater over mixture.
add water (recipe yeilds 1 gal)

(i would use 1/2 gallon of juice, and 1/2 gallon of water with honey, then add sugar and etc.. per gallon of finished result. and just top off with pear juice when you rack )

Thanks mrilis. Did you take the OG on this? I presume about 1.060 or so?

I racked it off of the fruit at day 3 or 5?? into a glass carboy with air lock. I started it with an open ferment...very unusual for me.
I topped it up with about an extra quart of water, and ferment is nearly complete, and it's beginning to clear now. I will rack again this weekend (If I end up finishing the wine so as to have an empty jug) and add Pectic Enzyme to assure clarity. I will also likely use policlear just for grins in order to get the clearest drink possible. I'm hoping that will leave enough yeast to carbonate, as I'm looking for a very fizzy summer drink. Again...I'm going to regret only having a gallon.

Thanks mrilis. Did you take the OG on this? I presume about 1.060 or so?

No i didnt.. There are a lot of times when i dont take OG readings on this kind of stuff.. usually because I add sugar in steps to maximize alcohol or whatnot. Sometimes when I rack i top it off with honey water and so forth. So a reading wouldnt do me a whole lot of good.

No i didnt.. There are a lot of times when i dont take OG readings on this kind of stuff.. usually because I add sugar in steps to maximize alcohol or whatnot. Sometimes when I rack i top it off with honey water and so forth. So a reading wouldnt do me a whole lot of good.

I know exactly what you mean.

I just ran your recipe through the gotmead calculator (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=874393) and it says your OG should have been about 1.097 (13.04% ABV). Potent stuff!

thats cool, the wine yeast i used will crap out at around 15% so I will end up with something rather dry wich is fine. I can always stabilize and sweeten to taste

Latest posts

Back