Soda Slimey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheInkling

Reaction score
I'm new to fermenting, and decided last weekend to try a few projects, including some ginger beer.

My ginger bug started perfectly (just like my raisin yeast starter), and then I added some ginger 'tea' and sugar to my jug (which was cleaned with antibacterial soap, thoroughly rinsed and then air dried.

I made it Sunday, then tried it last night, just to see how it was doing. While I did not taste anything weird, I immediately realized it had an incredibly slimy texture and spit it out. Even in the sink it was really viscous.

My kombucha currently has the same slimy consistency on the top, but I was under the impression that this is a normal part of the process.

Is this normal for my soda too?

Your soda shouldn't be slimy. Antibacterial soap isn't cutting it, you need a sanitizer. The easiest is a bleach and water solution. I don't remember off the top of my head, so look it up, but I think it's a few drops per gallon. Rinse well after using the water bleach solution. Alternatively head down to your local brew shop and pick up a small bottle of Starsan. It's a no-rinse sanitizer and works great.

Slimy is not a characteristic you want in any brew. Definitely sounds like you need to sanitize your jug with more than just soap and water.

Back