Weekend Brewery tour getaways

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoVa

Reaction score
I need everyone at Homebrewtalk's help with a weekend getaway plan. Last year, my girlfriend surprised me with a weekend to Dogfish head brewery. It was within driving distance to where we live(4 hours or so) on Long island, NY. We stayed in rehoboth beach where we were able to enjoy the water and atmosphere. It was close by to their brewery and their brewpub was right down the street from us. This year I'm trying to plan a similar trip, but I'm having trouble finding a worthy getaway spot and a great brewery in one location. A drivable distance would be preferred, but a short flight would be considered. I've looked at Flying Dog, Allagash, Stoudts, and the usual beach places like mrytle beach, and Florida. Flying Dog seems to be the front runner, but I'd love to hear if anyone has done something similar on the east coast.

Edit: I forgot to mention she went to school in vermont so we know those breweries well enough that a trip there wouldn't be as exciting.

Well, its not the beach, but I toured Philadelphia Brewing Co. last summer and it was really nice - very funky old brewery building.

About 10 days ago, I toured Ribe Bryghus in Ribe, Denmark, but that may be further than you're thinking of traveling . . . . :p http://www.ribebryghus.dk/

The Ommegang Brewery does a nice weekend package in conjunction with The Inn at Cooperstown, but they only do it a couple of times a year, and they get booked pretty fast. Check out the Inn's website for the description. I was supposed to do this with my wife as a Christmas present, but she pulled the old "we really don't have the money for this" at the last minute....really pissed me off!

It would be pushing it for driving, but Asheville is a nice beer destination. They have quite a few breweries and brewpubs as well as stuff that wives always really like.

But, if you want to drive, I would vote Allagash/Portland.

I've not been on a tour of the Flying Dog... But I used to live in the DC area and drove by the Flying Dog brewery one day after working at Fort Detrick in Frederick.... I wanted to go on a tour but when I looked up info on their website, it said they weren't currently doing tours because of a remodeling project. Of course that was about 6 months ago so I'm sure they're back up to speed with tours. I think you'd be disappointed if you chose Flying Dog, especially after going to DFH last year. I too made a weekend trip to the DFH brewery, and from what I can see the FD location is about 1/5 of the size as DFH, and there's not much else to do in Frederick unless you're into mountain biking.

Back