Weekend in Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Nancy and I spent a delightful three-day weekend in Michigan, driving from our home in Chicago to Grand Rapids and making a couple of stops inbetween. This is copied from my blog at www.singingboysbrewing.com

Nancy_at_Tabor_Hill__1_.jpg

First, we planned our departure so that we arrived at Tabor Hill winery in time for lunch. The dining room is very pleasant with a delightful view of the vineyards. My chorizo corn chowder and caesar salad paired very nicely with their Traminette wine, an easy drinking white wine made with estate-grown grapes.

After a couple of other stops at wineries - 12 Corners, Contessa Wine Cellars, and Karma Vista - we arrived in Grand Rapids, settled into our room then headed out to dinner.

Nancy_at_Reserve.jpg

Nancy's friend Ryan, who runs Two Birds Artisan Spirits, recommended we go to Reserve, a farm-to-table restaurant which serves his gin. We both enjoyed a Two Birds cocktail, then shared some smaller plates that were exquisite. The chacuterie plate, with three cheeses and two hams was outstanding, probably the best I've ever had.

Sicilianos.jpg

The next morning, Nancy dropped me off at a homebrew competition at which I was judging. Its sponsored by Siciliano's Market, a specialty market that sells craft beer, wines, coffees, cigars, as well as home brewing and winemaking supplies.

Steve_Siciliano.jpg

Steve Siciliano and his spouse Barb organzied the competition, which is a ton of work. It was a well-run competition, and from a judge's point of virew, very enjoyable. I judged beers in three categories - American Wheat or Rye Ales, California Commons (which is the style made famous by Anchor Steam), and Scottish Ales.

After the competition, Nancy picked me up and we did a quick tour of three breweries in downtown Grand Rapids that we could walk between.

Nancy_at_Founders.jpg

We started at Founders Brewing which has a very fun outdoor area, with lots of heat lamps and a couple fo fire pits. The fire pits include the warning that fire is hot, which amused Nancy. We had two versions of an IPA (including a red rye) there, and they were probably the most enjoyable hop-centric beers that we had that day.

grand_rapids_brewing.jpg

Next up was Grand Rapids Brewing Company, which has a beautiful old restored building, very friendly staff, and a great beer-culture atmosphere. We met a guy who was in the outdoor seating area who had brought his big dog with him. We learned he had recently moved from North Carolina, just a few weeks earlier, and was still in a little bit of shock about the weather here - he thought the mid-50s temps were cold! But we had a nice long chat, petted his dog, and enjoyed the beer.

The_BOB.jpg

Next, after walking through a downtown crowd of what seemed like thousands attending a college commencement, we stopped at The BOBS Brewery. in a large multi-use building. We actually had their beer in a bar on the first floor, which isn't really the brewery, which is in the basement. We didn't know, and once we were sitting at the bar it seemed best to just stay. We shared a flight, including a Doppelbock and a very enjoyable dry Stout.

brewery_vivant.jpg

Our final stop was Brewery Vivant, a delightful place in Grand Rapid's Eastown neighborhood. That morning, at the competition, I was paired with a BV staff member, Jonathon, and we saw him at the brewery's pub that evening. He very graciously shared with us a special beer that was just outstanding - a habanero mango sour barrel-aged Belgian pale. We met some folks at the bar who were also from Chicago, celebrating one of their parties' 60th birthday, and it was great fun visiting with them. When we were seated, we shared a cheese plate, mussels and frites - so appropriate for a Belgian-inspired brewery.

Holland_tulips__1_.jpg

The next morning, Sunday, we drove over to Holland, Michigan and enjoyed the early tulips. We then drove south and spent a few minutes at the Warren Dunes state park, but it was very blustery.

roasted_beet_hummas_at_journeyman_distilling.jpg

Our last stop before heading home was at Journeyman Distilling in Three Oaks. Another beautifully restored old building, a former buggy whip and corset factory. Nancy had the most beautiful meal, a roasted beet hummus, while I enjoyed the tacos and we both enjoyed their very well crafted artisan spirits.

Back