Hey from Calgary, AB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtags

Reaction score
Hey

I just got into brewing a few months ago. A friend of mine had his dads unused brewing equipment, but no space for it, and I had the space. So we have started brewing together.

We have done two kits, Brown Ale and a Pilsner, both from Baron. These kits have the liquid wort instead of the extract, so there was no boiling involved. Just throw it in the bucket. We bottled them in Grolsh bottles. They turned out ok, but both had a bit more sediment flavour then I would like.

We also just started a Gewürztraminer wine kit. I'm also interested in making some cider before the summer is over, but haven't done enough research to know what to do yet, and may need some more bottles.

Anyway, I'm interested in getting more advanced in my brewing. I have started reading Homebrewing for Dummies, and most importantly, signed up at this forum.

I think the next step is to pick an extract recipe and brew it up. I'm leaning toward an IPA with oak flavour. Now, I need to track down the ingredients and a big pot to boil them in. The brew store I got my kits from seem to focus a lot on kits and didn't seem to have the ingredients that I am seeing in the receipes. Does anyone know of a homebrew store in Calgary that would be directed more toward serious home beer brewing? And where can I get a big 20-30 qt pot for boiling?

Hey there Cowtown guy!
Welcome to home brewing. Have you found the Cowtown Yeast Wranglers yet?
They meet the first Wednesday of the month at The Wildrose Brewery out at the Armed Forces Base off of Crowchild Trail. Lots of samples to taste and good info.
The Vineyard on Center Street has kits and ingredients and supplies. His hop selection is weak but he keeps a great selection of Wyeast on hand. Fresh whole hops are hard to come by thats why I planted 56 plants this year. Keep in touch I might have a little bit left over.

Also, regarding the pot I use a 40 quart and sometimes I feel its not quite big enough.
Check out some of the pics on the site to get equipment ideas.
Most of my equipment is rudimentary but functional and helps reduce the frustration factor and most important keeps peace with the SWMBO. Getting off the stove for cooking and out of the bath tub for cleaning is the best thing you'll do.

equipment2.jpg

Why is it that I only discover more Calgary brewers when I'm out of the country? :p

I definitely second the Yeast Wranglers - they're good guys, and should be able to help you out with the basics if you want someone in person to talk to. The Vineyard guys are mostly wine people, but still friendly and they have a decent grain selection.

You can check out camper's village for freaking huge brew-pots (look for turkey boilers, they work well ;)). Alternatively, you can use a couple med-size pots if your stove-top can't handle the bigger vessels. I'm assuming you have carboys, and if you need a wort-chiller just drop by Home Depot and grab some copper coiling and basic piping to attach to your tap.

Welcome!

Thanks for telling me about the Yeast Wranglers. I'll try to get to the next meeting. And an extra bonus that the meet at the WR brewery. WR has great beer.

I got myself a turkey boiler, and was getting psyched up to make some beer without a kit, but then had some problems finding the ingredients (mainly hops) locally. So I bought an IPA extract kit, which I haven't made yet, and some oak chips to add my own small touch. Haven't made it yet thought.

Thanks for the info

Like faststage1 mentioned, the Vineyard on centre st (it's right by chinook and the long & mcquades) should do you for the basics - malt and hops included. You can check 'em out here; The Vineyard. Hope that helps!

Back