Question on kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophet

Reaction score
First off hello, this is my first post. I am currently on my second home brew batch, first was an Irish stout from an extract kit. The second one is an American wheat extract kit that is going in to bottles this weekend.

What kind of initial investment would i be looking at to start kegging my home brew? Is there a list of everything I would need to get going? I have a kegorator already and have an unused chest freezer that will be a keezer if I decide to start kegging my brews. Thanks for the help.

It really all depends on how elaborate or simple you go. Also what does your Kegerator have already? You will need a CO2 tank mine was $80 new. You will need kegs which range from $30-$60 in my area. Regulator and tubing can be $50+. Then you can go crazy from there.

If you have a kegerator already, you can probably start kegging for fairly cheap. You can pick up used 5 gallon kegs for 50-60 bucks, maybe cheaper on craigslist or something. The other item would be the CO2 tank. A new 5# tank will run around 80 bucks, again cheaper if you can get your hands on a used one. A 5# tank will last maybe 8 kegs or so and I swap the tank for $16. Other than that you just might need some tubing, shanks, etc. depending on if you have anything in the kegerator.

Edit: As fletcher mentioned, you will need the regulator also. Those vary in price depending on how many kegs you want to serve.

I have a 2.5lb bottle at the moment and my kegorator has a dual regulator on it right now, I just was unsure of prices and didn't want to experience sticker shock when I go to my lhbs to see what they would recommend. I am in the Oklahoma City area if anyone was wondering.

If you have a working kegerator already then you are almost there. A corny keg or two, some disconnects, new line and you are ready to go. Under $100. If that kegerator needs some work then you will be looking at a little more.

I love supporting my LHBS but sometimes I need to save money too. Typically I buy equipment online especially if it will be over $100 because most online shops have a flat rate for another over $100...and sometimes they have free shipping deals. Plus the selection will be better.

Well guys, I haven't taken the keg plunge yet, but i am going to, It seems like I can get kegging for around 2-300 and have a nice setup with what I already have. I'm probably going to bottle these first two batches on Saturday since I've got the bottles, and they have been in the carboys for about 2.5 weeks now.

I sold my kegorator and built a keezer with 3 taps (1 commercial 2 ball lock) and 2 kegs.

First off hello, this is my first post. I am currently on my second home brew batch, first was an Irish stout from an extract kit. The second one is an American wheat extract kit that is going in to bottles this weekend.

What kind of initial investment would i be looking at to start kegging my home brew? Is there a list of everything I would need to get going? I have a kegorator already and have an unused chest freezer that will be a keezer if I decide to start kegging my brews. Thanks for the help.

I would start with this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360582494821?redirect=mobile

Back