Awesome Dumpster Dive!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
So, a few days ago I was hanging out with my neighbor, we will call him Kurt. Anyhow, we were sitting on his back patio and I remarked on what a nice new smoker he had back there. He proceeded to tell me that he had gotten it earlier in the year at a garage sale for $20. (It is a nice big Brinkman electric smoker, about $70 new)

Today rolls around and we are sitting outside drinking some homebrew and he proceeds to tell me that his wife was giving him grief over all of the "stuff" that he buys and never uses, like the SMOKER. She gave him such a hard time and pissed him off so badly that he tossed it into one of the construction dumpsters in the neighborhood! Complete with a bag of mesquite wood blocks! Tonight I ran down there and grabbed the whole thing, never used, $70 new, $20 at a garage sale, and FREE from a dumpster for me. I am the luckiest man alive! When I get home in three days from my trip, I am smoking me some meat!

Pol

Sometimes I get lucky... today was one of those days. I hope him and his wife keep it up... he has some things I want, I just have to keep checking the dumpster!

I am thinking a brisket... I will end up smoking everything in sight soon. This will give me a little diversion while my HERMS is getting finished up over the next several weeks.

It is okay to be jealous, but you must confess and repent.

Pol

CORRECTION, just checked the Brinkman site, this thing is $170 new!

Thanks for the heads up on the wood, the website sayes to use fruit or non producing trees. Thanks!

CORRECTION, just checked the Brinkman site, this thing is $170 new!

Thanks for the heads up on the wood, the website sayes to use fruit or non producing trees. Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of mesquite myself....I prefer hickory...also Hickory with a piece of cherry is nice, especially for buffalo roasts.

God I miss having a smoker...and a yard to smoke in.

Haven't done it since Ministerial school in Kansas City. This was a typical Saturday smoking session for my housemate and I...

smoker.jpg

It would last us nearly a week...We'd go to the KC outdoor market, and we had cultivated a "source" for meat...this Cajun guy who'd drive up every weekend in a referigerated truck...He's see us and say in a thick accent..."Howdy boys, you tried cookin a goat (or something) yet?" Then he'd open up the back of the truck give us whatever it was at a great price, plus steak, sausages, chickens, etc...Every week he'd have something special for us, and talk us through it....Then we'd load everything up in the smoker (sometimes stacking 2 on top of each other if the haul was good.)

LOOKS tasty... what could be better than homebrew and freshly smoked meat? My wifes little size "0" rump, then brew, then smoked meat...

Your neighbour sounds like a PR!CK!

You tell him how much you admire his smoker, and then he throws it away, rather than offering it to you? I'm sorry, but that's just plain rude!

I would pay him back by making something AWESOME in it, take a sample over to his house with a couple of home brews, and tell him how easy the smoker was to use. Then I would set up a little fan to blow the smoke into his yard every time I used it.

His wife and him are over here all the time drinking my beer... last night as I put the smoker back together in my garage, she was walking by and stopped... looked, and said, OH, well at least someone gets to use it. LOL How funny is that? Kurt is a good guy and would give me the shirt off his sweaty back, but he gets really enraged with his wifes comments at times and his anger takes over. (Obviously, he tossed out a practically free, NEW, smoker) Looking at recipes as we speak, will have something concocted in a few days when I return home!

Sorry, mate, I didn't mean to insult your neighbour, I had the sarcasm dial turned up to 11 and forgot to mention it ;)

Seriously tho... He must have been in another world if he didn't offer it to you when you had just been admiring it!

Im planning on doing a lot of dumpster diving when i get furloughed. I also plan on doing a lot of drinking.

Mesquite is good for beef. I use hickory for pork and pecan for salmon & chicken. Chicken will soak up smoke like crazy so be careful.

I've used pear wood in the past (we'd just trimmed the tree back to keep branches from breaking with the mother lode of pears it produces every year). It was delicious with the chicken, but couldn't really discern it with the pork.

Dang! My neighbors are farmers and they NEVER throw anything away.

Case in point: The stake-bed truck sitting down near the end of the northern property's driveway. "Has an almost new rebuilt engine." per neighbor. Last registered 1988. "My brother was going to make a tank truck out of it." Said brother died in 1994.

Im planning on doing a lot of dumpster diving when i get furloughed. I also plan on doing a lot of drinking.

You wount get furloughed... hang in there. BUT dumpster diving and drinking are ALWAYS on the agenda, no matter how much money I make! LOL

You wount get furloughed... hang in there. BUT dumpster diving and drinking are ALWAYS on the agenda, no matter how much money I make! LOL

Furloughed no, downgraded i think there is about a 95% chance. That just means i go back to dumpster diving because i have to rather then doing it for fun. There is always money for beer regardless of what any creditor says.

So, I put some wheels on my smoker, so that I can transport it down the sidewalk to the neighbors house while I am cooking... sweet huh?

I bought some ribs, dry rubbed them, grabbed some hickory, filled the "water pan" with Apfelwein and cranked her up... smoked the ribs for 7 hours, used some mopping sauce a few times. WOW, I have never had such flavorful and tender ribs! Cooked a rack on the top and one on the bottom... I am hooked!

Pol

Furloughed no, downgraded i think there is about a 95% chance. That just means i go back to dumpster diving because i have to rather then doing it for fun. There is always money for beer regardless of what any creditor says.

I heard from the S5 chief pilot about 34 more ERJs for DL... I also heard from another pilot that he was told by a DL mainline CA that we are taking over almost all of thier DL Shuttle flying out of DCA... on that same trip, that pilot was also approached by a DCA ramp agent about the same news... as they were told to prepare for more 170-175 a/c.

Rumors, have to love them... but I also had a check-airman in my j/s the other day and she said that they just finished another round of check-airman this month here at S5. They were also told by the program manager that they should enjoy thier summer, because this fall there will be no time for them to line fly.

Take it for what it is worth! Have to love the ride!

I heard from the S5 chief pilot about 34 more ERJs for DL... I also heard from another pilot that he was told by a DL mainline CA that we are taking over almost all of thier DL Shuttle flying out of DCA... on that same trip, that pilot was also approached by a DCA ramp agent about the same news... as they were told to prepare for more 170-175 a/c.

dude-wait-what.jpg

That paragraph might as well have been written in Yiddish. Or maybe I've had a few too many... :tank:

Airline pilot rumors! Secret decoder ring required!

Back