When is it time to move from primary to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering when you know its alright to move from the primary fermenter to the secondary to clear. I have a bubble in the airlock every 8 seconds, and its been fermenting for almost two weeks. Is it ok to put it into the secondary to clear now? Also I was going to try gelitan to help clear it, should I boil it for 15 mins and let cool before I do, or is that overkill?
thanks
rich

buy a hydrometer and take a reading. it's the only way to tell if your fermentation is complete.

but...as long as it's not a big beer and you pitched a good amount of yeast, at two weeks you're probably good to move to secondary.

I just posted this on another similar thread:

My simple rule of thumb:

Cool wort and transfer to primary.
During transfer, take a sample for hydrometer reading…record reading
After visible activity in fermenter seems to have stopped…take another hydrometer reading.
Multiply the delta between the Original Gravity (OG) and the current gravity by 131 to get your ABV%…record reading.
(Example:
OG = 1.045
CG = 1.012
Delta is .033 x 131 = 4.32% Alcohol)

Take readings every 24 hours and when the readings remain constant two days in a row…beer is finished with fermentation.
Let sit in fermenter 2 more days (minimum) for yeast to cleanup after itself.

Transfer to secondary and let condition until clear or your better judgment based on experience or advice.

The bigger the beer, the long the wait.

Back