Some advice on my second beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxx73

Reaction score
Hey there,

So I'm getting ready to transfer my second brew, a mango-pomegranate wheat beer, to secondary this weekend. But I'm not sure how much of each to add. I'm planning on adding POM juice and fresh mango, and have found some resources that are sort of relevant but nothing with the combo. Any recommendations? I have an idea but I don't want it to be over/underkill (obviously). Thanks for your help!

I would suggest dosing the beer with the juices when you serve it instead of fermenting the juice along with the beer. But if you prefer to ferment the juice, make sure that it doesn't have any preservatives in it, and be conservative. Add a little bit and taste it after a few days. You can always add more, but you can't take any away if you overdo it. For my fruit beers, I use the Vintner's Harvest purees (they don't have mango or p'granate though), and I find that 3.3 lbs of the puree is the perfect amount for medium-gravity beers if you want a fairly strong fruit flavor and aroma.

Yeah I'm looking for a fairly strong but not over the top flavor. I think if I add about 3 lbs of the mango puree (still trying to decide whether to pasteurize it or throw it right in after frozen) and maybe 1-1.5 16oz bottle of the POM juice (it's 100% juice, no preservatives, luckily) I should be alright. Another thread I read said they were putting 32-64 oz in a 5 gal batch and it turned out good, but I also have the mango to worry about.

I'm also thinking about splitting it into 2gal just wheat / 3gal fruit beer, but I don't want to like one over the other and be mad at myself for doing it. :p

Back