Fermentation stopped after 6 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started an experiment about 6 days ago, trying to ferment koolaid. I made the koolaid in a milk jug, then added a considerable amount of sugar along with some typical baking yeast. I placed the jug in a dark location, and have checked on it daily. I noticed I couldn't see any foam from the fermentation through the jug, so I decided to open the cap and smell the koolaid. All I could say was "damn!" since it smelled so strongly of alcohol, however I could not see any visible foam or signs of fermentation. Is fermentation complete? I started fermenting some grape juice as well about 5 days ago, and it's still foaming.

Did you do this under a bridge?

Why the attitude? As I said, it was around the house, so I decided to do an experiment. I would assume the yeast were killed by an ingredient in the koolaid, however as I said it smells strong.

What was the OG of the Koolaid? And the FG?

I didn't measure either of those, as I said I'm new to homebrewing (hence the username) so I haven't bought any equipment. I added quite a bit of store-bought sugar, maybe half the bag?

I would read up all you can about homebrewing as quickly as possible, before you go blind.

From what I've heard only distillation can produce levels of methanol high enough to cause you to become blind, however of course regular fermentation produces safe amounts. In this youtube video [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnqtUN9mxo[/ame] a fellow fermented koolaid and he said it just tasted like watered down koolaid with alcohol, he didn't go blind.

However I might add that since I made about a gallon, I added some packets that can be used to flavor water (ingredients were similar to the koolaid)

Could this really produce significant amounts of methanol? I really don't want to go blind. Any science?

I wouldn't worry about the methanol. I don't reckon its an issue here at all.

Have fun and keep drinkin' the Koolaid.;)

Pretty much any sugar will ferment to alcohol if you add bakers yeast. It's the same species as brewer's yeast just a differing strain AFAIK.

I don't reckon it will taste too flash but a fun experiment for sure.

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question: 6 days ferment does not seem too odd for this type of thing. Pure sugar is readily fermented. I'd give a taste and see what you got. I'd say it will taste like rocket fuel.

Last edited:
Could this really produce significant amounts of methanol? I really don't want to go blind. Any science?

I don't think that's anything you need to worry about, I seriously doubt it'll do you any harm. now, will it taste good? I doubt that too. if you want to experiment but would like to have something to enjoy in the end check out some recipes here on hbt like edworts apfelwein & joes ancient orange Mead.

The yeast has either completed fermentation or stalled due to alcohol concentration. All yeast have a certain tolerance for alcohol in solution and will go dormant when that level is reached.

If you do drink this, I am interested in how it tastes. My gut tells me... bad.

The yeast has either completed fermentation or stalled due to alcohol concentration. All yeast have a certain tolerance for alcohol in solution and will go dormant when that level is reached.

If you do drink this, I am interested in how it tastes. My gut tells me... bad.

I am going to try it tomorrow, however I'm somewhat concerned now...I value my eyesight. I obviously didn't distill it, however what if one of the artificial sweeteners/coloring can be converted to methanol? I thought I would be able to drink this in peace without concern..

I was wrong! There is no foam, however I put my ear up to the bottle, and shined some light on it, and there is bubbling. I suppose I will let it ferment a little while longer. Or is no foam a sign of fermentation being complete? I need some help guys..it smells wonderful, however the alcohol smell wasn't as strong as I thought at first. It kind of sounded like a carbonated beverage.

Paranoia sets in just before you go blind. :tank:

Very funny :rolleyes:

However, is audible bubbling sounds a sign of fermentation still taking place? Or carbonation? There isn't any foam. I gave the jug a shake (stupid of me) and it swelled so quickly it nearly exploded.

there's really no way to know if fermentation is complete without checking the gravity. if it were me I'd probably give it 2 wks in primary, cold crash in the fridge for a wk to get that stubborn bread yeast to settle out, carefully siphon your hooch to another vessel, sweeten with a simple syrup & enjoy. actually "enjoy" is probably not the right word...

there's really no way to know if fermentation is complete without checking the gravity. if it were me I'd probably give it 2 wks in primary, cold crash in the fridge for a wk to get that stubborn bread yeast to settle out, carefully siphon your hooch to another vessel, sweeten with a simple syrup & enjoy. actually "enjoy" is probably not the right word...

It would be helpful if I had the equipment to test that. I may just sample it tomorrow to get a feel for the alcohol percentage. It's just odd to me that the grape juice has a lot of foam, whereas this had foam a couple days ago, now it's just bubbling. Is it safe to just pour some in a glass?I don't need to strain it do I?

First thing to learn about brewing is patience. If it is done fermenting it still won't be done done. It will be done when it has cleared in 4 to 6 weeks. It doesn't have foam because it doesn't have suitable protein for making it. If you want to try and salvage this into something respectable then toss in a handful of raisins. It will give some body to the beverage and give the yeast some nutrients. Then just set it in a darkish corner of your kitchen and forget about it until Halloween. The longer the better. It probably will never be great but it won't make you sick or go blind or anything.

I'm sure it is safe to drink, yes. my guess is that it is done fermenting & is now just off gassing. I wouldn't pour it. sanitize a drinking straw, stick it in the jug, put your thumb over the end & pull a sample. you just need a taste. my prediction...fizzy, very tart, hot(read boozy) & yeasty(read funky).
& a hydrometer is a tool that every homebrewer needs in their toolbox & they really aren't expensive at all. you will also need a test jar. I bought a 250ml graduated cylinder from amazon but you could probably use a tall pilsner glass & I've even heard of someone using a flower vase as a test jar.

Update..I tried some sips of it. Tasted good but very watered down and weak. Going to drink more later on tonight..

Another update. Drank about half the jug. Zero effect. I'm a pretty big guy, however it was surprising I got no effect, must be very low in alcohol content.

Back