Elderflower Honey Saison- how much Elderflower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

seems like forever since I posted a recipe on here...
But anyways, the SWMBO wanted me to try something floral for my next brew, and if possible use Elderflower (she recently found some elderflower liqueur she loves and wants more elderflower).

I figured a saison would be a prime choice, which is great since I have a very delicious saison recipe on the books.

Honey Rye Saison
11 gal batch
OG ~1.060
FG ~1.011
ABV~ 6.7%

14 lb 00 oz pilsner malt
05 lb 00 oz Rye Malt
02 lb 00 oz Munich malt
01 lb 00 oz Flaked Rye
00 lb 12 oz Crystal 120
00 lb 08 oz Acidulated Malt

02 lb 00 oz Orange Blossom Honey (added day 3 of fermentation)

Hops:
Columbus 0.5oz @ 90min
Northern Brewer 1.5oz @ 15min
Saaz 1.5oz @ 5min

Yeast- Wyest 3711 French Saison

So, to make this into an elderflower saison, I was thinking that I would add the elderflower into secondary, but the question is how much elderflower? I am guessing for a 11gal batch, it would be 1 to 1.5oz of dried elderflower...

Anyone have any experience with elderflower or even just suggestions as to the amount of elderflower to use? I don't want it definitely present, but not overpowering.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
Thanks in advance.

I've been planning my own elderflower pale ale and from my readings so far, it seems people have had success using 1-2oz dried elderflowers for 5gal batches thrown in for the last 10mins. Your suggested amount would seem a bit light therefore.

Let us know how yours turns out!

Sorry for the late response. Ended up using 1oz into the secondary. There was a light but distinct elderflower flavor that lent a nice herbal quality to the otherwise fruity/spicy saison. If I had it to do over again, I would probably do 1.5oz into secondary or at flameout. If the flavor ended up being too light, I made a tincture/extract with the remaining 1oz of elderflower and some vodka to add in the keg.

All in all, it turned out really well and I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

Sorry for the late response. Ended up using 1oz into the secondary. There was a light but distinct elderflower flavor that lent a nice herbal quality to the otherwise fruity/spicy saison. If I had it to do over again, I would probably do 1.5oz into secondary or at flameout. If the flavor ended up being too light, I made a tincture/extract with the remaining 1oz of elderflower and some vodka to add in the keg.

All in all, it turned out really well and I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

Sorry to Necro but I didn't find any other elderflower saison threads...

Kyle, do you recall if you fermented this higher than 70ºF? I love 3711 and am planning to use a dried elderflower and jasmine steep at flameout with a similar malt bill, less rye. I will also hop quite a bit less as I have found any floral additions can be quite bitter. I'm hoping for aromatics from the floral additions, not the esters. I'm thinking of keeping it at 65ºF to keep it clean.

Back