Looking for non-drying candi-syrup sub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meat_Cat

Reaction score
Didn't know it had a drying component to it when I bought it. It's okay. I'll save it for a tripel. Anyhow. Any advice on a non-drying candi-syrup sub? I was thinking brown sugar? Thanks!

Any sugar you use is going to dry your beer out. What are you trying to do, and what is the recipe? Are you just trying to up the gravity?

Nah, made a recipe mistake. Don't want to mess up the OG. Have candi syrup and brown sugar on hand. Molasses too. Not sure what to do. Definitely don't want to dry out beer, though.

Gotcha. I've done that myself. Brown sugar won't be as bad because of the molasses in it, but it will still lower your FG some. If you've got some DME that would work better.

Molasses will have the least effect because it is mostly flavor components and little sugar. Brown sugar is just white sugar sprayed with molasses and will dry your beer out just as much as regular table sugar.

Any kind of sugar will dry the beer out. You didn't say if it was an all grain recipe but you could mash higher to account for the sugar. I did this in a winter beer because I like the flavors candi syrup contributes but didn't want the beer bone dry. It worked the beer ended up at a decent final gravity.

A non-drying sub for clear candi sugar is to omit the candi sugar and brew with the rest of the ingredients. If you really want to maintain the same starting gravity, you can add more base malt or light extract. If you're subbing for dark candi sugar, Special B is probably the closest thing, but maybe not at the same quantities.

If you had some, a little malto-dextine would also increase the residual gravity/body to help offset the sugar addition. If the beer's big enough to start with, I'm not sure I'd worry all that much anyway.

Back