First brew in the fermenter!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

Reaction score
Well, I did it for better or for worse...here's the run down:

4oz Belgian aromatic
4oz Flaked oats
4oz Rice hulls
8oz Flaked wheat

2 gallon Steep @150 for an hour, one gallon sparge @ 170 degree.

Added 6 pounds (actually more, used two 3.3# cans but I didn't scrape them clean) Belgian wheat extract and 8oz of Soft Candi sugar after bringing the above to a boil.

Added 1oz German Hallertaur hops (4.3%) at 60 minutes, 1oz at 15 minutes.

Added 1oz of bitter orange at 15 minutes

Added 1oz of Coriander at 5 minutes.

Cooled in ice bath to 70 degrees, moved to 5 gallon fermenter bucket.

Pitched one tube of White Labs Belgian Wit yeast (WLP400).

Added water to bring to 5 gallons.

OG: 1.042

Sealed it up, added the airlock, and moved to a spare room to keep it in the low 70's until fermentation starts, then I'll move to the basement where the temps are mid to high 60's.

Sounds tasty! Congrats on your first brew. Now get the second one planned, because you're gonna like it!

haha...yeah, I've already be checking Craigslist for used refrigerators/freezers and noticed my local homebrew shop has some used Corny kegs for $50 a piece. Already have the desire to keg and tap my own stuff, designing beer bottle labels, the whole nine yards...lol

Fermentation is done. FG is 1.012 which according to the calculator is right on point. I tasted the beer and it's a bit strong in the alcohol taste and not much else at the moment. I'm leaving it until Friday when I can get into the home brew shop to get a auto siphon and new bottling bucket with spigot. I'll bottle Friday and let it condition a couple weeks before trying it again.

Back