Contaminated???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
Hey Folks!
So I've been brewing for about 3 years now, and have never had a contaminated batch, but I'm nervous about my latest. I brewed 3 weeks ago, and racked into secondary a week later and dry-hopped with some sorachi ace and lemon zest (soaked the lemon zest in vodka for about 5 minutes before adding). I left it alone until tonight and found the attached image. It's a really thin layer of white "crud" floating on the top like I've never seen before in secondary. When I give a light stir the stuff easily breaks apart and looks like it will dissolve into the beer.

I smelled it and it doesn't smell "bad", maybe just a little weird but I could easily be making that up in my head. I'm planning on serving this beer at my wedding in 2 months so I'm being extra careful about it.

What do you guys think about it? Am I overreacting or should I be concerned?

Thanks for the help guys!

IMG_20110517_211911.jpg

To me, it looks like it may be yeast, but that seems like a lot of it. I'd maybe take a taste sample and see how it is. I wouldn't sweat it too much though. Maybe someone else will tell you otherwise.

Edit: I'm drunk, and I just remove a toenail with a razor blade, and pushed the "thumbs down button" on my post by accident. So use good judgement about my suggestion.

Did you taste it?

Could be yeast, but could be the start of an infection from the lemon.

No I haven't tasted it yet, I'll do that tomorrow. What will it taste like if its bad?

If it tastes like green/young beer (tastes like a beer should, but has a taste similar to green apple), I would say it's fine. If it's very sour/funky, then it may be infected, but I still wouldn't sweat it. Even if a batch ends up infected, don't dump it, say you meant to do it, and call it something related to the style of infection that's in it. I think your probably fine though.

looks infected to me, but never had one yet...so i'll give the free bump...hopefully a vet can answer your question

Back