which bourbon barrel extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
I've been searching through this site for hours and through the wealth of information, I still can't decide on which kit. I'm looking to replicate something along the lines of BBC's Bourbon Barrel Stout, or Blue and Grey's Minor Dementia Bourbon Barrel Stout (both imperial stout styles)

Which option would net the best results for a more than subtle bourbon barrel effect to the base brew?

1. Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter kit ?
2. Midwest Bourbon Barrel Old Ale kit?
3. another companies RIS kit and then oaked and bourboned on my own in the secondary?

I like the idea of the old ale kit as it seems to come with charred oak cubes that you then age in bourbon for several weeks, which I certainly could do that practice with any kit. I'm looking for something close to the brews above and have checked reviews and don't know which direction to go in. Also, this would be my first batch.... ever. Hope I'm not getting over my head, but I really like this style. Looking for all and any input/ideas. Thanks.

Back